First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

AMD 1800+
512 Mb ram
Geforce 3 64 Mgs ram
SB Live soundcard
Windows XP Pro

Liero 1.33

The game works fine when I disable all audio. The game doesn't even get to the detecting sound stage when I try and enable audio. In fact, the game crashes before displaying anything. On the compatability page was listed two things for this program with the A entry having a confusing comment and the B entry not being helpful at all.

*** Liero v1.33 (A)
MIDI=n/a
SB=ok
Rem=Must set the BLASTER environment variable.

*** Liero v1.33 (B)
MIDI=n/a
SB=no
Rem=Freezes at "Loading sounds..." stage. Same results with VDMS and SoundFX 2000.

Do you have any suggestions to help me troubleshoot Liero? By the way, on a Liero site I know, they suggest running without audio. In fact, from their FAQ:

Does it work for Windows XP??
Not really. Apparently it works if you run it without sound (parameter "/N").

Their site is << http://www.lieroextreme.com/ >>, so if this sound problem is worked through, you might have some very happy people on your hands... 😀

To test this game and to make it work, there is a link at the top of that page, "The Game", where you can download Liero. I hope you can help me resolve my problems!

Reply 1 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First off, the current compatibility list is here:
http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/compat/

(Although we should make an effort to make sure all the old tested games have entries in the new list)

As for the A.) entry, it's pretty straightforward (at least to me). Install Liero. In your VDMSound configuration files, make sure the SET BLASTER line is in there (if you use VDMSound Launchpad, it should automatically set this.) It should then use the SoundBlaster emulation in VDMSound automatically (I hope!).

...although, in XP, how would you know which emulation it's using - VDMSound or XP's native emulation? There doesn't seem to be any configuration in Liero... maybe it auto-detects everything! I guess you'd have to keep an eye on the VDMS log file...

The B.) entry, so it appears, means that if you run Liero with the /N (no sound) switch, it will crash.

Of course, a lot of time has passed since the game was last tested. Vlad or Nicht or DOSFreak could take a look at it without too much trouble. If they don't, I will. Or you could try to get it working yourself, we'll be happy to lead you through it if you have trouble.

Additionally, you may want to try testing Liero in DOSBox (http://dosbox.zophar.net). Although I'm not sure it will work, if it requires at least a 386SX... Anyone?

Reply 2 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note: You may also want to try one of the Liero clones, like NiL (http://nil.sourceforge.net/) or Liero-AI (http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/liero/). But since Vlad seems to have had it working previously, we'll try to get the original Liero working too.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Vlad or Nicht or DOSFreak could take a look at it without too much trouble.

I first tried running this in Native XP mode, got not nothing. Except, at the risk of sounding paranoid, it caused a reboot of my XP three times in a row. Normally I wouldn't blame a DOS program (especially since it seemed to be a "delayed effect"). But I haven't seen that happen since I first installed XP. In any case (before the crash) all I got was a blank window (or screen) with no text.

With VDMSound, I got this:
Loading & thinking...OK
Initializing sound system...
BaseIO=0220h IRQ7 DMA8=1 DMA16=5
DSP version 4.05: 16-bit, Auto-initialized
Extended memory succesfully initialized
Free XMS memory: 16239k Loading sounds...

It never got to the "press a key" message".

With sound disabled, it seemed fine.
Under Win98SE with sound it seemed fine.

Additionally, you may want to try testing Liero in DOSBox

Liero will work on a 386, however:

On DosBox v0.56 it disables the audio, claiming it can't initialize the sound card. Plays, but it's silent.

Tried DosBox v0.55 since there were real changes that "broke" some programs. This one recognizes the SoundBlaster and (apparently) initializes it, ending with the "Press a Key" message. Unfortunately, it also apparently locks up at that point.

I'd check into the clones until someone has a better idea.

Reply 4 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, (A) is a differnt test system than (B). In other works Liero works on WinNT4 (A) but not on Win2k (B). One of the few games that worked in NT4 but that Microsoft has managed to break in Win2k and XP.

V.

Reply 5 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

Forgot to update for a few days. Sorry for that. Liero works fine with the no sound switch.

I'm not certain what set blaster command to put into VDMSound. Do you have a suggestion as to what it should look like?

I have tried some Liero clones, however they were lacking in a lot of finer details and were also slower/buggier than the origional. Thus, that is why I ask about this version...

XP didn't reset at all when I tried Liero. Either it refuses to start or it goes right into the game...

Reply 6 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

I am running in administraitor mode... perhaps that might help troubleshoot this problem... I dunno...

Reply 7 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reread vladrs's post. He said that he can't get Liero running with sound in Windows 2000 and XP. And he's the programmer of VDMSound.

You may have to do without sound, unless Vlad is willing to hack Liero (or submit a patch or something). Given his time issues, I doubt he'd make that a priority, if it is at all possible. 🙁

Reply 8 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This kind of situation is precisely why I set my PC up to dual-boot and encourage others to do it as well. Of course, setting it up after you've installed the NT-based OS is always a headache.

Right now, it looks like you have to either use a clone, or wait for DosBox to run it properly with audio (and that may be a while).

Reply 9 of 9, by bubble master

User metadata

i am having trouble trying to get liero 1.33 to work. i have already tryed taking the audio of but it still does not work. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered wrote:
AMD 1800+ 512 Mb ram Geforce 3 64 Mgs ram SB Live soundcard Windows XP Pro […]
Show full quote

AMD 1800+
512 Mb ram
Geforce 3 64 Mgs ram
SB Live soundcard
Windows XP Pro

Liero 1.33

The game works fine when I disable all audio. The game doesn't even get to the detecting sound stage when I try and enable audio. In fact, the game crashes before displaying anything. On the compatability page was listed two things for this program with the A entry having a confusing comment and the B entry not being helpful at all.

*** Liero v1.33 (A)
MIDI=n/a
SB=ok
Rem=Must set the BLASTER environment variable.

*** Liero v1.33 (B)
MIDI=n/a
SB=no
Rem=Freezes at "Loading sounds..." stage. Same results with VDMS and SoundFX 2000.

Do you have any suggestions to help me troubleshoot Liero? By the way, on a Liero site I know, they suggest running without audio. In fact, from their FAQ:

Does it work for Windows XP??
Not really. Apparently it works if you run it without sound (parameter "/N").

Their site is << http://www.lieroextreme.com/ >>, so if this sound problem is worked through, you might have some very happy people on your hands... 😀

To test this game and to make it work, there is a link at the top of that page, "The Game", where you can download Liero. I hope you can help me resolve my problems!