VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Sorry, I posted this in support as well but it's a bit of an urgent problem for me, I hope I am not annoying anybody.

I installed vdms on my work computer [ to run impulse tracker on slow days 😀 ], but I remembered soon afterwards that my job sucks and I have no slow days, so I uninstalled it. Since then when I try to open exe files, it just pops up the "open with" menu as if the file associations for exe are no longer working there. I then re-installed vdms and no longer get the "run with vdms" option in the context menu, the only option there is "open with".

I can run any of the programs using "Run".

I am running windows NT 4.0 SP6a and after I started having problems I re-installed the service pack with no luck.

I'm not sure if this problem is even related to vdms but it seems like there is a fair chance it is so I thought I'd see if you've ever heard of anything like this happening.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply 1 of 5, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry -- it actually *is* a VDMSound (well, rather a Microsoft installer) problem. See Bug # 465129 on SourceForge, it contains a .reg attachment that will restore your file associations. This only affects NT4 (Win2k and WinXP are not affected). Also there is no data loss involved AFAIK.

V.

Unregistered wrote:
Sorry, I posted this in support as well but it's a bit of an urgent problem for me, I hope I am not annoying anybody. […]
Show full quote

Sorry, I posted this in support as well but it's a bit of an urgent problem for me, I hope I am not annoying anybody.

I installed vdms on my work computer [ to run impulse tracker on slow days 😀 ], but I remembered soon afterwards that my job sucks and I have no slow days, so I uninstalled it. Since then when I try to open exe files, it just pops up the "open with" menu as if the file associations for exe are no longer working there. I then re-installed vdms and no longer get the "run with vdms" option in the context menu, the only option there is "open with".

I can run any of the programs using "Run".

I am running windows NT 4.0 SP6a and after I started having problems I re-installed the service pack with no luck.

I'm not sure if this problem is even related to vdms but it seems like there is a fair chance it is so I thought I'd see if you've ever heard of anything like this happening.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Package the .reg with the next ver of VDMSound?

Or better yet use a better/newer installer?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline