VOGONS

First post, by crummy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I can play Tyrian 2000 fine alone in Windows XP Pro, however it runs really slow, and I have to put the in-game speed up to "Turbo" (which gets the same speed as "Slug Mode" on my Pentium 100"). Sound doesnt work at all.

So I found VDM sound, and it works fine, though its still pretty munted - any sound effects are lagged and echo slightly (because the game runs so slow.) However, thats just on the menu - when I actually get into the game, it plays for about 1/4 second, then stops entirely.

I think this must be related to the game running very slowly. One Must Fall: 2097 also runs really slow and it screws up the sound big time. However it doesnt lock up.

Off topic, does the "joystick emulation" thing in VDMsound allow me to use a USB joystick in DOS?

diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Reply 1 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. you have to use cli2nop with one of the exe files of Tyrian and try speedset with it (see some other tyrian post way back on this board)

Reply 3 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

hm... I'm not sure... I really needed it on W2k and I *think* I needed it for XP as well.
The Game crashes as soon as the Vice-over is heard without doing cli2nop...

Reply 5 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right.

Anyhow, please read the following Tyrian-related threads:
showthread.php?threadid=48
showthread.php?threadid=243
showthread.php?threadid=277

Hopefully, your answer's in one of them.

One Must Fall: 2097 has known issues. From M$'s KB:
"One Must Fall by Epic
Executable: OMF.EXE

One Must Fall occasionally accesses memory it did not allocate. Windows 95 memory protection terminates the program due to an invalid operation. Run One Must Fall in MS-DOS mode to avoid the problem.

One Must Fall comes with a custom .PIF file called OMF.PIF that you must delete before running One Must Fall. This allows Windows 95 to create a new OMF.PIF file that is properly configured."

Of course that applies to Windows 95, but some of it may still be valid. Long ago I did a lengthy post about it on the old board, but it seems to be gone now... Anyhow, OMF: 2097 DOES work with VDMSound...

BTW, if you're an OMF fan, check out http://www.omf.com 😀

Reply 7 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is anyone else having this audio problem? I tested the demo for this under XP and didn't have a problem except for the overall speed.

[EDIT]
Actually, I did find a problem. The rolling demo does the same things as the actual game without locking up, but digital audio seems to cause lock-ups when I actually start a game. Bizarre. FM and MIDI work fine, only SoundBlaster seems to cause a problem.

The speed issue is a "DOS game doesn't like NT" issue, not a VDMSound issue. Short of a dual-boot, there's not a lot you can do.

The sound issue (lag/echo) may be soundchip related. I have titles that seem to struggle with VDMSound on my Celeron 1.7 GHz (with it's cheapo C-Media chip), that have no problem with an ISA AWE64 with a Celeron 566 (slight lag, but barely noticeable).

Reply 8 of 17, by crummy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

using CLI2NOP in aggressive mode (with the -2 command line parameter) on file0001.exe fixed the problem!

... well, i can play the game with sound, that is. the game still runs really slowly. i can fix this by selecting turbo mode in the options, but the music and sound effects still run at 1/2 speed.

i guess i'll have to get my old pentium 100 working again. thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Reply 9 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
crummy wrote:

using CLI2NOP in aggressive mode on file0001.exe fixed the problem!

Well, I'll be a...Add this to the list of the FixPOPF-bug games. Under XP, CLI2Nop should not be needed. Sure enough, when I went back and did a right-click "Run with VDMS" (no musical note) and digital audio worked properly.

If your CLI2Nop'ed version is working for you, good. But don't be surprised if there are random crashes, etc... Cli2Nop is a nice hack, but it's still a hack.

have to get my old pentium 100 working again. thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Actually, this is where a dual-boot comes in handy. I rebooted to Win98 and it ran perfectly.

Add this to the collection of "Titles that just don't want to work properly under NT, but work fine in a Win9x environment".

Reply 11 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'll take a look myself now. When I had to use the aggressive cli2nop for Tyrian 2k I'm sure that the built-in XP-fix wasn't yet out and totally forgot to test the game with it.
Will do later.

And yes the game is amazingly fast on Win9x 😀

Reply 13 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Dominus I'm sure that the built-in XP-fix wasn't yet out and totally forgot to test the game with it.

Actually it's part of XP from the start. It's what allows DOOM and BUILD games to run in XP with sound (and why they won't run in NT/2K with sound).

Reply 14 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

"You downloaded it? Well, that's amazing considering it's impossible." Nick Burns, SNL

*ROFL* I JUST saw this in your .sig... 😀

I love the Nick Burns bits...

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asnltran … 22Nick+Burns%22

Anyhow, sounds like we've found an odd quirk here... cool, let's keep at it...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Actually it's part of XP from the start. It's what allows DOOM and BUILD games to run in XP with sound (and why they won't run in NT/2K with sound).

He meant that the VDMSound feature that takes advantage of the fix wasn't out yet, I think. 😉

V.

Reply 16 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladr wrote:

He meant that the VDMSound feature that takes advantage of the fix wasn't out yet, I think.

oops. Hrmm. Well, VDMSound isn't mentioned by name in that post, so my Lawyer and English teacher say I'm O.k.