VOGONS

command line options

Topic actions

First post, by Belgarath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi there

i've been experimenting with vdmsound and i must say it's a godsend, this program is truly excellent and has solved most of my compatibility problems (especially with my "$"£%$" onboard sound)

but i run my games from a seperate gui, so running games from shortcuts is no good for me, now running dosdrv in a batch file works great for most but some games require special options, for instance betrayal at krondor requires emm memory, now this is simple via a shortcut but how can it be done from a command line? i think im right in saying the only command line switch is to load a ini file but examining the ini file and the help file has given me no clue on how to add this.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply 1 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably need to contact Vlad about this. Most people, including myself, don't bother with command line options. It does appear, however, that the .INI file is the key. Unless every game is going to use the same configuration, you'd probably need to define a custom .INI file in some kind of startup batch file.

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use the CL ver of VDMSound all the time but I rarely need to point it to another .ini. IIRC, Do a DOSDRV /? and there should be an option to point to a different INI

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

I use the CL ver of VDMSound all the time but I rarely need to point it to another .ini. IIRC, Do a DOSDRV /? and there should be an option to point to a different INI

For memory you should just go to the .bat's "Properties" and set all the EMS and so on. This will create a corrresponding .PIF file; whenever you run the .bat Windows will look for the corresponding .pif and use those settings.

V.

Reply 4 of 8, by Belgarath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im using xp and for some reason you can't create pif's for bat files
so i created a pif for the exe and set all the memory options, and it does not work, but if i run it with vdmsound it works fine!
so please tell me there is a way to control the memory options of vdmsound through the command line/ini

Reply 5 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Belgarath wrote:

im using xp and for some reason you can't create pif's for bat files
so i created a pif for the exe and set all the memory options, and it does not work, but if i run it with vdmsound it works fine!
so please tell me there is a way to control the memory options of vdmsound through the command line/ini

VDMSound is not the one that controls memory options, it's Windows. You can either: make a pi.f for the .exe, then rename the pif to match the .bat's name and edit the pif to point to the .bat instead of the .exe **or** edit your default system-wide memory options in _default.pif in your Windows directory.

V.

Reply 6 of 8, by Belgarath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

as i said i created a pif for the exe and set all the memory options to max, to no avail. i then created a pif for the bat file again the game says i dont have enough memory. now if vdmsound doesnt control the memory options why does the game work when i right click on the exe and select run with vdmsound? it must be doing something as i have tried various memory configurations within the pif to absolutely no avail. 🙁

also i don't have any pif's in my windows directory

😕

Reply 7 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you right-click and "Run with VDMS" (without an icon), a .bat and associated .pif ("VDMSRun.*" or something like that in the VDMSound directory) are invoked. They in turn call dosdrv.exe and the game.

Yes, you should find _default.pif in Windows or Windows\SYSTEM32 .

Is the application that calls the .bat files a DOS application itself, a 16-bit Windows app, or a 32-bit Windows app?

V.

Reply 8 of 8, by Belgarath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i looked at the vdmsound bat file and pif and applied it to the bat file of the game im trying to load, again the game says not enough memory. and honestly i've searched the entire windows directory including hidden files and all subfolders and i dont have a _default.pif and theres no way i or anyone else deleted it
the application that calls the bat files is a 16bit program but its not that which is the problem as even if i click on the bat file in windows it still comes up with the same error, but if i run it by right clicking and running with vdmsound or run it with the vdmsound shortcut it works fine..i'm not that bothered about it
im happy enough to run it from a shortcut but it is very puzzling

thanks for all your suggestions