VOGONS

Syndicate OK, but freezes at SFX

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Well I got Syndicate running with VDMSound.

But every time a sampled sound is played, the game freezes for about 0,5-1 second.

I've tried all the settings in the INI file (delay/ DMA polling) but I didn't manage to get rid of the problem. I did get below 0,5 sec, but that's not enough with those Uzi's and Miniguns!

Success anyone? I got an Athlon 1400, SB live, XP and 512 RAM, so no speed issues here I think...

Reply 2 of 34, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, please tell us ALL about your version of Syndicate. CD/Floppy? Any updates installed? etc. etc. And what are your VDMSound settings for it?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 34, by Unregistered

User metadata

So I'm lucky it's running at all?

It's a zipped version i got from a "classic games compilation" CD (warez of course). No .nfo on the release i'm afraid, it's a full version with sound and intro.

It came with dos4gw.exe ver. 1.8, it also runs with 2.01 (no difference).

I used only the default settings, and the last version of VDMSound.

Yours,

Elwood

Reply 4 of 34, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you compare your version with the version found on Home Of The Underdogs using HKSFV? http://www.big-o-software.com/

I'd like to know what's newer/older/different. Maybe nothing, maybe everything. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 34, by Sintan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How did you manage to get sound working at all?!?!
My version runs smoothly, but with no sound.
what was that about the INI file? which file is this and what must be done to get sound working
cheers

"I suppose your wandering why your lying in a bath of rare herbs and spices" - Bad Taste

Reply 6 of 34, by Elwood

User metadata

Again I say I used only the default settings, I was messing with the .INI file just to reduce the lag (no success there).

The URL posted above gives me an "Unknown MySQL Server error".

Anyway I don't know if I will download the Underdogs version just for the sake of comparison (I get 33.600 or 40.000 K connections here), but maybe...

Yours,
Elwood

Reply 8 of 34, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Big-O has been having problems lately. I thought they had sorted them out; apparently not. 😜
Perhaps someone has the installer that they can upload?

Okay, seems to be down. I'll check my HD to see if I still have the installer. In the meantime, Elwood could use WinZIP to zip his whole Syndicate directory and subdirectories, and type up a list of CRC32s as that's mainly what we're after. That, filenames, and file sizes.

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 34, by Unregistered

User metadata

I have a version of syndicate but how do I check the version using the hkSFV?

My version seems to work just fine without using that sound thing (of course it runs w/o sound) but when i use that sound thing, it does seem quite buggy. Everything is good so far except when there's a timebomb that explodes. For the first one or two timebomb explosions, the game continues to run, but the whole program will eventually close.

I'm on XP, pent 2.

Reply 12 of 34, by Unregistered

User metadata

I also got Syndicate from an Abandonware site full version and works fine with sound on VDMSound but it does also freeze for half a second or so when sound is played. The background music has no slowing effect however only the SFX noises. Please let me know also if their is anyone out their has a fix for this.

Thanks much,
SMK

smk21@hotmail.com

Reply 13 of 34, by Unregistered

User metadata

I just downloaded Syndicate from Classic Trash. Im using Abondon Loader 0.8 b and VDMSound ver. 2.0.4. It's up and running, but I also suffers from the freezing mentioned above. I thinks that this is a problem that can be solved, but not by me. Im not good at stuff like this.

So, I was just wondering if someone has solved this yet, or if someone has any suggestion what I can do to get it working properly. So friends, share with me.

/Daniel

Reply 15 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Up

It's a safe bet that nobody has found a fix for this. That is why there has been no response. Unless someone knows how to hack the executable or provide a capable PC emulator, you can expect it to stay that way.

Reply 18 of 34, by Unregistered

User metadata

Well I've got it running with sound effects, but no music. There is a tiny hesitation when a sound plays, but it's not enough to complain about at this point. (*edit* I noticed that hesitation gets a lot worse when using a flamethrower, it's easily half a second to a full second, depends on how many enemy are currently burning.)

My VDMS settings are pretty much those supplied by Don Wells to get Silent Hunter running under XP, there's a page that describes them in detail at:

http://www.subsowespac.org/sh_xp/silent_hunterxp.shtml

Only change I've made was to copy the soundcard switch settings from the SYND batch file to the arguements used to call the program. I do bypass the intro movie by calling Main.exe directly.

For specifics, I'm running XP Home on an Athlon XP 2100+ system, no real soundcard, I'm using the onboard sound of an Asus K7V333 motherboard.

Not sure of the actual version of Syndicate, I'll guess version 1 as I installed from original floppy disks.

Playwise, only problem I've run into is scrolling the view with my mouse. It scrolls fine to the right and down, but it's real touchy about scrolling left or upwards. For example, if I move the pointer all the way to the left edge of the screen, the screen rapidly scrolls to the right. I've taken to using the arrow keys to move the view till I find a proper solution.

I did notice that while back "at the lab" between missions, game time is flying by as the program is running too fast. I'm "cheating" by setting my research projects before reloading/requipping my team members, by the time everyone's ready for the next mission the current research project will be nearing completion. Some of them actually finished before I started the next mission, so I start another research project before starting the mission.
The extra speed doesn't seem to be a problem during the missions, only noticable thing is vehicle speed, make sure the street is clear before your team steps out into traffic.

Hope this helps someone,

Butch...

Well I solved the screen scrolling problem by removing the extra arguements from the Autoexec.bat under the DOS Environment tab.

p.s. For the record, I've done a VOGONS vs. VOGOVOS comparison with this game today. My 486-66 doesn't have the sound lag issue, but Syndicate doesn't run all that smoothly on it either. 😉

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-02-21, 07:12. Edited 1 time in total.