VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

The movie intros hiss and then crash ... the in game sound is fine just the movies.

Reply 1 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Err... a bit on the vague side. No name of the game, No mention of the OS, you're using, no settings of any type mentioned...

Without any details, it's kind of like trying to find a dime you lost "somewhere" in New York City.

Reply 4 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Download the Launchpad, unzip it to a good place (ie. your VDMS directory), run "install.bat". Then, whenever you want to use it, right-click on the application and select the "Run with VDMS" with the music notes next to it. Most of the default settings should be okay. If they don't work, fiddle with some stuff. If you still need more help, respond.

And, uh, in the future, just for completeness' sake, include all your system information. Thaaanks.

As far as uninstalling GliDOS goes... --why? If you aren't going to use it with a program, just don't run it beforehand. It's not STOPPING anything from working. Doesn't it have an Add/Remove Programs icon anyway?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 13, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need GLIDOS for the ingame (CD music), so don't uninstall it.
V.

Unregistered wrote:
DOS Game: Tomb Raider Gold OS: WindowsXP Emulator: VDMSound with update installed […]
Show full quote

DOS Game: Tomb Raider Gold
Emulator: VDMSound with update installed

Note: No idea how to utilize Lauchpad. How do I run it.

Need to Uninstall GLIDOS !!! Any1 know how ?

Hissing sound crashes INTRO movies and ingame music does not play.(Ingame sound is fine)

Reply 7 of 13, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I thought GliDOS was using your VDMSound for all audio. Can't it run T.R. with the CD-audio?

It's a bit more complicated than that. TR uses CD functionality (seek, etc.) that is not properly supported by Windows, so GLIDOS includes a workaround for that. VDMSound doesn't deal at all with the audio-CD part since Windows is supposed to do that.

V.

Reply 9 of 13, by Unregistered

User metadata

Have been getting "server not present" pop up error with GLIDOS. Also I have a old version of TRG so the gif is present from the start and my GLIDOS TRG appears in a windows box.

Was wonder if it would be possible to have the game function properly without GLIDOS first then mess around with GLIDOS.

Thanks for all the input ... getting less ignorant everyday 😀

Reply 10 of 13, by Unregistered

User metadata

If you have been using Glidos, and now want to go back to software mode, the main thing to remember is to put back the original version of Tomb.exe The original Tomb.exe file should be
on the CD at the top level (not in any folder). Copy it into C:\Tombraid

The sound problems are probably because TR isn't set up correctly
for VDMSound. Find the file called setup.exe in C:\Tombraid. Right-click on it and select "Run with VDMS", and let it autodetect the soundcard settings. If doing that gives scrambled graphics then try this different way to run setup.exe:

Run "Command Prompt" from the Windows "Start" menu. Make sure the command window is in full screen mode. Type the commands

cd \Tombraid
dosdrv
setup.exe

When using Glidos, you may be able to get rid of the spinning logo by selecting the "glasses" from the TR ring menu and changing the graphics detial from "Mipmap" to "Normal".

Reply 11 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A better way would just be to REGISTER GliDOS. I mean, it's only $10.

In any case, here's a message I got off the GliDOS mailing list digest:

> How do I UNINSTALL GLIDOS ? It seems there is no uninstall app and there is no reference in Add/Remove Programs.

It doesn't use the registry so all you need to do is delete the Glidos
folder. It will have left a few files in the folders of each game you have used it with, but they will do no harm.

Oh, and regarding the original point of this thread (Hissing intros), I've got a few questions.

1. How high are you turning up your speakers?
  2. Are the volumes in your Windows sound mixer turned up all the way?

It may just be a problem with the actual audio, and not the setup. Anyone else have TR1 Gold and able to confirm/deconfirm?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was getting audio distortion similar to this while tinkering with GliDOS on XP. It was more like a combo hissing with a slight stutter. This was on FMV portions only. My XP install blew up shortly after that. I've yet to get around to a GliDOS re-install, too many other things going on right now.

Reply 13 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's interesting, since I've had no problems with it in W2KSP2. Granted I haven't played TR1, just Carmageddon (mwahaha), but I'd assume that the problem would be more uniform if it was, in fact, a problem with GliDOS versus TR1.

Yes, it’s my fault.