VOGONS

beneath a steel sky and touche

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's just sooo odd. Have you tried the NTVDM EXEs that are in Deep Thought?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 21 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

That's just sooo odd. Have you tried the NTVDM EXEs that are in Deep Thought?

Not needed. Buchwakko's using Windows XP SP1, and the Windows XP patch you are referring to was in SP1.

For the record, the Windows 2000 version of that patch is currently available for Windows 2000 SP4 private betatesters.

Pretty soon, the NT4 version of that patch would be the only one we would NEED to hang on to (although we still COULD hang on to the others).

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 22 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Hey... we should lobby the guys that made BASS and see if we can fenagle a 256-colour CD32 version from them. I wonder if they even have copies anymore...hmm...

Revolution Software and Virgin Interactive Entertainment? Yeah right.

I'm having a hard time as it is trying to find INFORMATION on a 256-color CD32 version. Did it really exist? Where's the proof, Nicht? Screenshots? Website?

Colin, if you want to contact them, here's their website:
http://www.revolution.co.uk

Stiletto

Reply 23 of 30, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Stiletto I'm having a hard time as it is trying to find INFORMATION on a 256-color CD32 version. Did it really exist? Where's the proof, Nicht? Screenshots? Website?

You could say that about a lot of Amiga AGA titles. "Wing Commander" is also hard-to-find, but it's more common due to it's ECS-only release. I'm considering it real based on the info from "Back to the Roots":
http://www.back2roots.org/Games/List/B/100/

Like I said before, you've got to look at this from the retailer's point-of-view: a 32-color CD version can be sold to owners of the CD32 console, CDTV, or any 1Meg Amiga with a CD-ROM drive.

An AGA version was only good for CD32 and AGA Amiga's with a CD-ROM. It's possible that this is one of those titles was made, but not sold. Stranger things have happened.

BTW, screenshots probably wouldn't prove anything as they would be identical to the PC version.

Reply 24 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would always be interesting to at least ask them to confirm that such a version existed.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 25 of 30, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover It would always be interesting to at least ask them to confirm ...

I'm trying. Takes up to 24 hours just to get a password for their board.

Reply 26 of 30, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I've posted the question to the people who should know.
http://www.georgestobbart.com/nu_forum/_forum.php

Also, found my BASS CD (actually it was my "backup CD" that I found a at Half-Price books for 50 cents). I tried it out on a 486-66 with an AWE32 and it works fine there.

PC version downsides:
No "SILENT" option
(which means any sound problems are going to kill the game...making it harder to troubleshoot)
AdLib Music: Unless you have Roland hardware, you're out in the cold.
"Hates NT" (and Win9x as well)

PC version upsides:
256 color screens
represent Mr. Moore's artwork properly
Nice comic-book intro

Amiga CD32 version downsides:
32-color screens.
Not all that bad. Would've been much better if they had used 64-color "half-brite" mode. At least it's not EGA. Tolerable.

Intro only starts with chopper crashing. Comic-book intro missing.

Audio seems to have a slight "choppiness" to it. (Can't seem adjust for it, either)

Save and Restore "codes" Bleah.

Amiga CD32 version upsides:
You can actually get it running in Windows
No blood sacrifice needed.

Amiga MOD music much more pleasant than Adlib This may be a clone of the Roland music on the PC.

One funny thing I came across if you leave speech and text enabled. The text uses U.K. English, while the audio uses American English; so text and audio aren't always consistent.

Wrench/Spanner, Jumper/Sweater, etc...

Another oddity is W.D.40 (present day copyrighted product), which is referred to as lubricant in the game's audio.

Reply 27 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wrenches are called spanners? I'll hafta remember that one.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 28 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Ok, I've posted the question to the people who should know.
http://www.georgestobbart.com/nu_forum/_forum.php

And I've emailed BTTR. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 30, by ThunderPeel2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ever get a reply?

Reply 30 of 30, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001 Ever get a reply?

Yes, but it was vague...and now it's gone (the forums apparently were moved or reset). It was kind of bewildering as apparently both versions had large portions that were written in assembly. It also seemed that it was so long ago that they don't recall much in the way of detail about the Amiga release(s).

I still can't get over how the Amiga floppy version had a numbering error that was never fixed (fortunately, it didn't actually affect the game...just caused confusion at install time).

In any case, it appears that (eventually) we'll see a source port. Revolution handed the code over to the people at ScummVM. Considering the issue of "assembly", it will probably be a long while.