VOGONS

First post, by Elvisish

User metadata

I am trying to play some old Sierra games (Leisure Suit Larry, Freddy Pharkas, ect) under Windows 98 for the best compatability on my system, and I purchased the Audiophile 2496 because it had Windows 98 support. I didn't realize it didn't have native Soundblaster Emulation, so after installing the Win9x VDMSound, the music works, but no speech works unfortunately. Is there any way of resolving this?

Reply 1 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try DOSBOX... Unless you play some 3D shooters (and Larry is certainly not that 😀 ) you will be fine with it...
You just could have saved the money paid for Audiophile 2496... I have never heard about it, so I guess it was something expensive...

Mirek

Reply 2 of 6, by Elvisish

User metadata

Well it was £54, but I wanted it for the 2496 low latency as I also use it for music. The soundblaster audigy 2 value I had did the same, but it didn't run in Windows 98 which is why I reallly bought it, although it doesn't look like i can get a compatible card that can do both. Does dosbox in 98 run better than in XP?

Reply 5 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox doesn't care what kind of sound card you have as long as it works in Windows. It emulates a virtual Sound Blaster (as well as other DOS sound cards) and translates it into standard Windows sound calls.

Reply 6 of 6, by Elvisish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The best I've gotten so far is the music to play in Win9x, however the speech will not play whatsoever. The game runs fine in XP except for the music tempo changes throughout as I play, and I'd prefer it in 98 as the music stays at the corect tempo.