VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times and I think I've tried everything I've read in here. Been a long long time since I've played this but I decided to "dust" it off and play it again.
LSL6 (disc version not CD) starts up (full screen) with the typical "unable to initialize sound hardware" no matter whether I use straight XP or VDMS. If i disable all sound in the game setup, I can at least get to the Sierra logo but it never goes past that. I've tried different sound setups in the game and default VDMS as well as a few adjustments to VDMS settings, nothing seems to work.

WinXP
P4 2.2
Audigy sound
GF4 Ti4600
512mb

Here's the good news, if I use DosBox, I can get the game started however it's in a small window with no sound.
Any idea, I've spend days on this

Reply 2 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope you're referring to this DOSBox...
In any case, are you sure you installed the updated sound driver and were running the game by right-clicking and choosing "Run with VDMS"? Just curiously, since the sound will be better natively 'till Qbix or Harekiet decide to implement some of VDMSound's code. (Soon, perchance?)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 13, by Unregistered

User metadata

That's the DosBox I used. Yes, updated the sound driver, using the 2.0.4 of VDMS and right clicked to run it with it too. I don't know why it wouldn't work and then worked for Dosbox. Seemed VDMS should have worked before dosbox did.
The reason I used disk version is because that's all I've got, I don't have the CD version...Doesn't really matter right now anyway, I'm in the process of buying a used set of the "Leisure Suit Larry: Ultimate Pleasure Pack" which will have the windows versions along with LSL7 😀

Van

Reply 5 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dunno about that,

Sound has always been harekiets area.

Sound isn't bad actually 😀 It might be in 0.57 sometimes because of the singlethreadedness we introduced (and removed now).

Maybe really short sounds are still a problem. but maybe we have to precache the sound stream

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered The reason I used disk version is because that's all I've got,...

So do I, the Windows installer is there on the disk version. You run the SETUP.EXE (with the shield icon) instead of the INSTALL.BAT

Reply 7 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not saying the sound is bad, I'm just saying it'd be nice to have 16-bit stereo sound. 😀 If you're feeling REALLY ambitious you could even add a Pro Logic decoder to send to the rear channels of anyone that has a surround sound system. 😁

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ...you could even add a Pro Logic decoder to send to the rear channels of anyone that has a surround sound system. 😁

Just as a side note, most of the Philips soundcards do this automatically. Does a good job of it too (only within Windows, naturally).

Reply 10 of 13, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LSL6 (floppy version) works just swell with VDMSound over here. Dunno why it won't work with VDMSound but would with DosBox, probably something to do with the game's config (have you run INSTALL) and SB version reported by VDMSound vs. DosBox.

Snover wrote:

I wonder if CMSS does that...hmm...

Reply 13 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Ok, all is running ok, but my mouse isn`t working...

Ok, I have no idea if this is the same person who originally had problems back in January. I'm guessing not, since Van (the original "Unregistered") got it working in DosBox, but was getting the LSL "Ultimate Pleasure Pack" to get all the Windows versions (even though the Win version was also on the LSL6 floppies).

In any case, if you're running this within Windows (have no idea since you don't say) you shouldn't need to load any kind of mouse driver and there's probably a problem with the OS.

If you're running it within DosBox you need use CTRL-F10 to Capture or Release the mouse. This is contained in the README that comes with the program.