VOGONS

First post, by oleksa

User metadata

Help me please

I cann't hear any sound in the Sid & Al's Incredible toons 🙁 After I started dosdrv I've run install.exe from TOONS dir and it says that there are SB in my system, so I've choose it. But I cann't hear any sound in this game 🙁

Network Card and USB Controller shared 7th IRQ in my Win 2k computer. Can it be reason?
Ini file and BLASTER was set to default.
ESS 1868 got 5th and 10th IRQ
What should I do to fix it?

Reply 1 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, mate, I noticed that. Since it has a Windows interpreter, if it doesn't work in Windows, I don't think there's anything you can do to help it. Perhaps try the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, but like I said, there's a Windows interpreter: use it!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Just run the windows version. That's all you need to know.

Heh...Language barrier. BTW, he said he used VDMSound on the install program, but didn't mention it with the actual game executable. Also, (according to MobyGames) there is no Windows version like there was for the "Incredible Machine" series.

It also sounds like he's not using the GUI.

Reply 5 of 19, by Unregistered

User metadata
oleksa wrote:
Help me please […]
Show full quote

Help me please

I cann't hear any sound in the Sid & Al's Incredible toons 🙁 After I started dosdrv I've run install.exe from TOONS dir and it says that there are SB in my system, so I've choose it. But I cann't hear any sound in this game 🙁

Network Card and USB Controller shared 7th IRQ in my Win 2k computer. Can it be reason?
Ini file and BLASTER was set to default.
ESS 1868 got 5th and 10th IRQ
What should I do to fix it?

Sid&Al should work just fine with VDMSound. Mistake #1: why on earth were you doing looking at your soundcard's settings? VDMSound *and* the game couldn't care less about them. Just let VDMSound use its default settings, and let Sid&Al auto-detect the settings (or specify port 220, IRQ7, DMA1, ...).

V.

Reply 9 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll tell you what I have noticed going wrong with The Incredible Toon Machine. The "Al" object has some major issues. When falling, it continues to fall through objects. I'm not sure if there is a patch available or not, this is just something I've noticed.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 19, by oleksa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

It's you. 😁
Seriously, though. I have NO PROBLEM running this game, so I don't see why you should. (RUN IT IN WINDOWS! WINDOWS! NOT DOS!)

To test VDMS in install.exe I've set

Music: No music
Sound: SB

And cann't hear any sound in game 🙁
If I set

Music: SB Pro

I can hear both sound and music 😀
I'm running Sid&Al with VDMS in Windows 2000 Pro

Reply 11 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But nothing compares to the rich, thick head of an A&W root beer. With A&W it's good to be thickheaded.

In this case it's not. RUN IT IN WINDOWS! DO NOT RUN IT IN DOS! DO NOT RUN DOS EXECUTABLES! DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A WIN32 EXECUTABLE!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 19, by oleksa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

RUN IT IN WINDOWS! DO NOT RUN IT IN DOS! DO NOT RUN DOS EXECUTABLES! DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A WIN32 EXECUTABLE!

What does it mean - Win32 executable? How can I recognize is it DOS or Win32 executable? Both has "exe" extention. I cann't see in dir output any 'x' attribute like in my Unix at work 🙁 Is there any special attribute? How can I see it?

Reply 15 of 19, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oleksa wrote:
To test VDMS in install.exe I've set […]
Show full quote

To test VDMS in install.exe I've set

Music: No music

And cann't hear any sound in game 🙁
If I set

Music: SB Pro

I can hear both sound and music 😀
I'm running Sid&Al with VDMS in Windows 2000 Pro

Weird. How about GM/MT-32 music with SB sound effects (I think it supported that). With MT-32 music the intro will "skip" unless you disable the MIDI SysEx indicator, BTW (but the game sould be OK). Or make Snover happy and use (or pretend to use 😉 ) the Win32 version. 😁

V.

Reply 16 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*sigh* Use the EXE in the attached ZIP. Be sure to change the path to your CD drive in TOON.INI.

Attachments

• Filename
    mpc_toon.zip
    File size
    570.87 KiB
    Downloads
    423 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

*sigh* Use the EXE in the attached ZIP. Be sure to change the path to your CD drive in TOON.INI.

Is it not possible that he's using a "Plain DOS" version? Maybe yours is a 2nd or 3rd release.

Reply 18 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Uh, well, *my* version has a Windows interpreter...heh

Interesting. Mobygames same DOS only. Underdogs only lists Windows. Of course that's Windows 3.1, so that can be kind of quirky.