VOGONS

High Heat 2002

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Anyone have any luck getting 3DO's High Heat 2002 to work on XP with VDMSound? I know its not really an 'old' game as such, but it was not designed for use with XP. The game seems to run fine with the exception of sound and joystick controls, which seems a perfect match for VDMSound. I am not very familiar with all the functions if this program yet, but I will keep working at it. Any help in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I came across this in Usenet:

Unless the Operating system is specified on the box at time of release, we do not offer support. Windows XP uses the same kernal that Windows 2000 uses, and as such High Heat 2002 does not work properly under those conditions. We do not have a patch that will enable compatibility as it would require rewriting the game code from scratch, thus negating any simple repair.

3DO Customer Support

Ouch. The only people I found who were able to get it to run were using keyboard control only (no sticks or pads).

Reply 3 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by psz If a game THAT new won't run due to it being KERNEL specific, someone over at 3DO is getting REALLY lazy...

Yeah, it was released less than a year before XP was released and apparently they didn't think that many people would switch over as soon as they did.

There's also the presumption that sports fans will buy a new version of the same game every year (apparently that does happen). I'm pretty sure that the 2003 version will be fully XP compliant.

Reply 4 of 7, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HH2003 came out last year (see http://www.3do.com/highheat/). It was NOT, despite the listing of WinXP on the outside of the box, fully XP compliant. Under WinXP, sound card acceleration must be turned down a notch to avoid audio looping and skipping, and USB gaming devices are not recognized. Save for roster updates and a forum, the product is utterly unsupported. They inadequately, if at all, tested a product, then failed to support it. Way to go, 3do! Still, for $19.99 (US), I can't complain TOO much.

Reply 6 of 7, by Unregistered

User metadata

Thanks for the info guys. There has been a severe lack of 'support' on the behalf of 3DO. I intentionally didn't purchase the 2003 version because of this lack of support. Alas I enjoy the game very much so I will undoubtedly fork over the $50-$70(CDN)for the 2004 version when it is available in March.

In the meantime I will continue to 'dual-boot' with Win98 in order to get my fix.

Thanks Again.