VOGONS

Choppy Sound

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

First off, I am running WinXP.

After much fiddling with VDMSound and the Launchpad, I can't seem to get Duke3D's sound (not music - it's perfect) running without chopping up everywhere.

Here's my main dilemma I suppose:
The Launchpad makes this worse in my case.

It seems as if many of the issues here have been solved by tweaking things available in the launchpad. In my case, as soon as I select the options to test music or sound in Duke3D, the game freezes completely. However, if I run Duke without the Launchpad, the music plays fine but the sound gives me the issue I described above.

Using the Launchpad I have enabled/disabled literally every option one by one. The only things I left alone were the options that you could manually enter values for (excluding the buffer lengths).

Also, I'd like to point out that when I run the game w/o VDMS (no launchpad... nothing) the music doesn't work, but the sound encounters the same jitters it does with "default" VDMS [I suppose you'd call it].

Anywho, in case I've been too long winded, here's the summary:
- Sound plays choppy w/o launchpad, music plays fine (using VMDS)
- Sound plays choppy, music doesn't play (not using VDMS)
- Sound simply doesn't work when using the Launchpad

Hopefully I've provided enough detail (and made any sense as well 😀) Any help is much appreciated.

Reply 2 of 5, by Unregistered

User metadata

As I stated, using the Launcher causes no sound to be output at all. So creating a custom config with polling rates wouldn't make a bit of difference. I figured that the configs found in the VDMS directory are used when you don't run the Launcher, so I just opened them up now and found these lines:

minDMAPeriod = 5 ; these regulate the frequency of DMA ...
maxDMAPeriod = 15 ; ... activity (polling and updating)

I then changed them to:

minDMAPeriod = 1 ; these regulate the frequency of DMA ...
maxDMAPeriod = 3 ; ... activity (polling and updating)

and when that didn't work, to

minDMAPeriod = 2 ; these regulate the frequency of DMA ...
maxDMAPeriod = 5 ; ... activity (polling and updating)

and the sound jerkiness is skill present. That's my best guess at how to modify the polling periods, and it doesn't seem to be doing all that much =\.

Reply 4 of 5, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The choppy sound is probably XP's built-in emulation (i.e. crap). I'm pretty sure that when you got the choppy sound you wern't using VDMSound (i.e. you didn't use "Run with VDMS", you didn;'t use DOSDRV.EXE, and/or the game was configured for IRQ5, not IRQ7). Have you installed "Update 1" for VDMSound from http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/VDMSoun … 0.4.update1.zip ? Once the update is applied then Duke3D (and Doom, etc.) should work with LaunchPad, and sound quality should be somewhat better. Or use CLI2NOP. In either case, always use "Run with VDMS" and configure the game for port 220 and IRQ 7.

Cheers,
V.

Unregistered wrote:
As I stated, using the Launcher causes no sound to be output at all. So creating a custom config with polling rates wouldn't mak […]
Show full quote

As I stated, using the Launcher causes no sound to be output at all. So creating a custom config with polling rates wouldn't make a bit of difference. I figured that the configs found in the VDMS directory are used when you don't run the Launcher, so I just opened them up now and found these lines:

minDMAPeriod = 5 ; these regulate the frequency of DMA ...
maxDMAPeriod = 15 ; ... activity (polling and updating)

I then changed them to:

minDMAPeriod = 1 ; these regulate the frequency of DMA ...
maxDMAPeriod = 3 ; ... activity (polling and updating)

and when that didn't work, to

minDMAPeriod = 2 ; these regulate the frequency of DMA ...
maxDMAPeriod = 5 ; ... activity (polling and updating)

and the sound jerkiness is skill present. That's my best guess at how to modify the polling periods, and it doesn't seem to be doing all that much =\.

Reply 5 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget all our comments about running Duke Nukem in XP.
showthread.php?s=&threadid=104

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto