VOGONS

First post, by Jer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone had any luck getting DS9 Harbinger to run with an Audigy 2?

The first time through the install program after selecting SB16 (using VDM) I get a loud distorted burst of noise and then on a second try of installing I hear Quarks voice. VDM will then start the game but the distorted noise comes back at the intro screen and begins repeating in half second bursts.

I have even tried booting from DOS with the original Audigy DOS drivers installed and there is no sound whatsoever (although the sbgo diagnostic sees the card and settings).

I have:

Intel D850GB with 768 meg PC800 RAM
1.8 Ghz P4
Radeon 9700 Pro
SB Audigy 2
Dual Maxtor 40 Gig 133 Mhz Hds
Pioneer DVD 105s
Win XP Home SP1
All the most recent drivers and updates.

Any ideas as to where to go from here?

Let me know what else I can give you for info.

Thanks,

Jer.

Last edited by Jer on 2003-01-28, 02:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay,

I finally have some time to look at this again.

I have been able to get DS9 Harbinger to run with the SBpro driver in the setup section of the game. The audio now plays with lots of pauses to load from the HD and the video (generic SVGA) jerks along accordingly. I have tried various settings in the VDM setup pages but can't seem to find a combination that will fix these problems.

Any ideas about a direction to look in? BTW this is a DOS4GW extender type game.

Thanks,

Jer.

Reply 2 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jer The audio now plays with lots of pauses to load from the HD and the video (generic SVGA) jerks along accordingly. I have tried various settings in the VDM setup pages but can't seem to find a combination that will fix these problems.

Well, video is not handled by VDMSound (other than the option of choosing starting "full screen" or not). This sounds suspiciously like a "Hates NT" title.

If you configure it to run without sound, does it run smoothly?

Reply 3 of 6, by Jer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply Nicht Sehr Gut,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it seems to be pausing to load audio and that's the reason for the video hiccups.

I can't configure the game to run without digital audio though as it keeps complaining that it can't find a soundcard.

You might be right about the hates NT problem so maybe I'm just fooling myself.

I appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks,

Jer.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jer ...seems to be pausing to load audio and that's the reason for the video hiccups.

I can't configure the game to run without digital audio though as it keeps complaining that it can't find a soundcard.

Not good, and the inability to choose "no sound" makes it difficult to determine whether it's the audio, or the program in general that's causing the problem. Video may be slow, but it's there (which seems to indicate your video card can handle the VESA display).

This another title that I have, but it's in storage. That means it may be a while before I get a chance to test it.

For right now, I'd say that this is probably a dual-boot candidate (and that's presuming you can get command prompt support for the Audigy2).

Reply 5 of 6, by Jer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Nicht Sehr Gut,

Thanks for your help. I tried it on Win98 and it still doesn't work. The card is detected (with audigy emulated dos drivers), but the program just hangs at the intro screen when the audio starts to play.

I have also tried it from DOS but I can't get any audio to play from the Auidgy 2 even though the sbeinit says it's there and the correct DMA and IRQ are installed.

This one will take some finessing.

Thanks again for your help,

Jer.

Reply 6 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the game's setup you should set your video card to be VESA Extensions (VBE) compatible.
Initially I had a problem with the audio, insofar that it would repeat like a machine gun. That was when I selected Sound Blaster 16 within the game. When I selected Sound Blaster Pro, all was good. The non-interactive videos have some issues, but other than that, it works. Just don't try hitting Alt+Tab or Alt+Enter -- if you do, you'll have to do a cold boot.

Yes, it’s my fault.