VOGONS

Populous 2

Topic actions

First post, by Dev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to replay this classic, but having trouble getting sound working.

I'm running Windows XP MCE, sound card is an Audigy 2 if that matters whatsoever. The copy of the game is from the-underdogs. The sound files all seem to be intact (intsb.bin, intsnd.bin, sam.bin, sb.bin).

I can get the intro to run with sound just fine (using vdmsound), but the same settings, or any other combination I tried with the game itself gave not a peep. I checked my vdmsound version release notes, and it does mention having had some fix for populous 2. Am I doing something wrong here? or is there some fancy configuration I need?

The game has no 'sound setup' to the best of my knowledge. The intro works just using vdm's default settings, but it's a separate executable from the game itself.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 8, by Dev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hadn't, but I have now, with no luck. Same thing, intro has sound, game does not. I checked the game's manual, it says it supports sound blaster, and not tandy or adlib, no problems there. Doesn't mention any specific irq or dma settings, but I tried playing around with those too, to no avail.

Reply 4 of 8, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

like so:
contents of go.bat:

intro
pop2 /l /ss %1 %2

(for low-res) or

intro
pop2 /h /ss %1 %2

(for hi-res)

Reply 7 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are used to pass additional command-line parameters to the batch file.

If /ss is for enabling SB, do you know if there are some other parameters to force ADDRESS, IRQ, DMA and such?

Do you have the blaster line set up correctly. Type SET to find out.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)