VOGONS

Voices?

Topic actions

First post, by Viscount

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, my name is Ryan.

I just recently downloaded VDMsound and I still seem to be having an audio problem. I am trying to run the game Ecoquest, and everything seems to be fine except for one thing. The voices are not speaking although the music is playing.

The game at start up says "Unable to initialize Audio Hardware" so I'm pretty sure its an audio problem. I loaded up VDMsound and I run VDMsound when playing the game. I still get the error that it is not unable to initialize and still no voices although the music is playing.

Does anyone have any experience on this kind of problem?

I did read about AUTOEXEC.VDMS making it lower level for cd roms. Although I'm a little lost on what exactly I should be changing.

Reply 1 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try to use "try to use low cpu usage" in advanced properties. If not, check DOSBox (search forum).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You do have the CD version, don't you? This is a speed issue. Ecoquest runs fine in DOSBox, which will solve this problem.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 15, by Viscount

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually I tried using the DosBox earlier today to see if that would help it. I got up to the point where I just needed to press E-QS, however when I did, it replied that "This program must be run under Win32".

Collector, do you know how to solve this?

Reply 6 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Install the game with INSTALL.EXE for the DOS version, not the Windows SETUP.EXE.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 15, by Viscount

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So when I load it up that way it says that to play it now I simply press eco.

Then to play it "later" I have to go D:\SIERRA\ECO [enter] and then eco.

So when I'm in my DosBox I get into the D drive and I type in "D:\SIERRA\ECO ". And it doesn't work.

Reply 10 of 15, by Viscount

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, were making some progress.

Your commands worked to get Ecoquest started. And although it took a second to load up, there was no audio problem.

However sadly the voices still do not speak themself. I made sure that the speech was on so that isn't the problem. The Ecoquest files are mounted on a virtual drive. And I tried installing Ecoquest in Dos both with sounds on the hard drive, and without.

Does anyone have another idea?

Reply 13 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't use extremly high drive letters.

Stick to CDEF if you can. The most common is

C:\ = Hard Drive
D:\ = CDROM

That's what you should stick to.

So in your case: "Mount D H:\ -t cdrom" to mount your host H:\ drive as a guest D:\ drive.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 15, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, I'd also recommend sticking to that. No matter what the real drives are, mount your games folder as C: and your CD drive as D: in Dosbox. This has the highest chance of working for any particular game. Also, best to install games in dosbox with that configuration.