VOGONS

First post, by maglinvinn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the new VDM software is apparnetly only for w2k. problem being? my laptop laughs at me if i try to install anything other than the 'the disc that came with it'. so.

The following are things that should be in your help request:
* Motherboard

* Processor type and speed
600mhz

* Amount and type of RAM
pc100 - 192 something.

* Video board w/ RAM amount and type

* Sound board
ess allegro

* Operating system
w98 se

* Game name (and version, if applicable)
i wish i could get that far.

* Description of problem (be detailed: saying "it's jerky" doesn't help, saying "the player sprites seem to be jerky when I'm pressing any of the arrow keys" does)
no sound. regardless of any combination of sb and interrupts *knows the ESS is on i5 tho... device manager tells me so*

* Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.)
* Sound mode used
i'd llike to know which i should go with

* Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)
most basic

* Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+)
i can't find one for w98

* Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!)
readme? i'd love to. if i had one. i've hunted for quite some time for a w98 compatable VDM, no luck tho.

my problem's prolly real simple to someone that knows what the hell they're doing. i just wanna play old games like Betrayal at Krondor, Dune 2, and Full Throttle. nothing big. *Shrug*

blarg.

Reply 1 of 2, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is an alpha version of VDMSound for W9x. There is a thread somewhere around here.
I installed it and Betrayal at Krondor works with it in W98SE (when selecting MIDI or MPU 401, I do not remember how it is called in the Krondor installer, selecting SoundBlaster crashes the game).

Anyway: You can install W2000/WXP on your laptop... I have Asus 600 Mhz PIII, 128 MB RAM and I installed WXP without problems. Ok - it is rather weak configuration (therefore I prefer W98 there), but it works.

You will not be able to run the Betrayal at Krondor in WXP with VDMSound (at least it did not work for me - sound work, but screen was corrupted), you need DOSBOX there (but it would run too slow on your configuration).
Therefore I recommend W98SE + VDMSound for W9x alpha to run the game on your computer (it worked for me).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What type of ESS soundcard do you have? Some DOS games just don't work that well under Windows 98. Try the game in DOS mode and it should work fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline