VOGONS

First post, by jasoniscool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't know whether to post this here or under the Dosbox forum, but I'm having trouble exporting the music to MIDI format. I can export to WAV no problem, but when I try to capture the raw midi it just says waiting for data. The sound seems to work okay, I'm just totally lost as to what the problem could be. I'm also using an Audigy 2 8400 on windows XP.

Thanks for any help.

edit - i just found this guide: http://www.mirsoft.info/gamemids-ripping-guide.php

which I'm planning on attempting tomorrow..if anyone knows of a simpler way, that would be cool. thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The hardware solution on that site is only necessary if you want to run the DOS game on a pure-DOS machine and send the data to a second machine for recording.

If you're running the game in DOSBox, however, you can do the ripping entirely in software. One way is:
- install Midi-Yoke and Cakewalk (or any MIDI software capable of recording multiple channels to individual MIDI tracks)
- set the default Windows MIDI output device to Midi-Yoke
- set the Cakewalk MIDI input device to Midi-Yoke
- set up a 16-track MIDI composition and arm all tracks for recording
- start recording
- start playing the game

It might also be possible to just use Midi-Ox (and maybe Midi-Yoke?) and have it dump the captured data to a MIDI file, but I don't think I've tried that.

Reply 2 of 2, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before going through the whole logging stuff, you could also try ripping the MIDI files from the game resources with a program like WinRipper or DragonUnpacker. If it's a MT-32 soundtrack, you'll still have to capture the SysEx but that should be easy enough.