VOGONS

First post, by MisterPC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I want to thank you for this GREAT software. I want to thank to vlad. Also I want thank to the people of this forum and the people that made the easier to handle Version 2.1.0.

Normally I do not post something on the Internet, especially not on forums - for one very bad experience on one of them. There I tried to help one user. After a few discussions on that forum with him, he send me an email in which he asked me to send him some drivers and software for an Voodoo Graphic card. I wrote him back and tell him that the whole stuff is about (I no more exactly remember it, but I think it was about 23 MB). And I asked him twice via email that he is sure he wants about 23 emails to receive. After he agreed I send him this emails. After he received the second email he send me an email back and asked me to stop the sending. Of course it was out of my hand to stop the sending - I send it already like he wished before 3 times. After email number 10 that he received he send again an email in which he tell me, that his email box is full, he need a lot of time and money (for he having only a analog modem) and that he will tell this to the forum master. The forum master do not asked for my point of view, he blocked me immediately from that forum (that time that forum was very important to me to get some sort of information's).

For that reasons I will never write or answer emails to someone on this forum.
But I want to give this forum something back - for it helps me a lot.

I use VDMSound 2.1.0 since summer 2003. That time I decide which OS I want to use in the future. I used VDMSound on my Dell Inspiron 8000 Notebook and test it also on a Pentium III machine. It worked very good and without any problems. Of course I have to make for some DOS games some adjustments in the Advanced VDMSound Properties.

Now I have a new notebook. It is an Acer Travelmate 8204WLMi. This Notebook has Core Duo 2 GHz, 2GB DDRII RAM, ATI X1600 256MB (512MB Hyper), Sound Blaster(r) Pro und MS-Sound compatible Sound System from Realtek (no future information) and Windows XP Professional.
Follow this Link to get more detailed specifications of this Notebook.
www.acer.ch/acereuro/page9.do;jsession ... =178151 02
On this new Notebook my old DOS games no more run with sound. Even when I used the VDMSound Shortcuts that I build on my Dell Inspiron 8000 where they worked correctly. After very few hours of testing with the different settings in the Advanced VDMSound Properties I see the Troubleshooting Tab with the Diagnostic Log Check.

And now it comes:
When I mark this Diagnostic Log Check, the sound in every DOS game that I have work normal, like I have a DOS machine in front of me. Even I do not have to make some Advanced Settings. It seems, that with the Diagnostic Log marked the VDMSound Software make some more stuff than without.

How did I do this:
Only right click the batch or the program that start the game and choose "Run with VDMS". (If there is al ready a VDMSound shortcut in that directory, first delete this.) Then use the option "use a default configuration" and click "Next" button. On the next window mark the "Remember my settings" and click on "Fertig stellen/Finish" button. Then that DOS game start. Now exit this DOS game. Now right click the builded VDMSound shortcut and left click on properties. Mark on VDMSound tab the "Close DOS window on exit". Click on the Advanced button. Click in the Advanded VDMSound Properties window on the Troubleshooting tab and mark the "Diagnostic log". Now click on the Ok button and again on the next Ok button. When I now double click the VDMSound shortcut my DOS game work very well and good sound like I previously descript it.

Of course you can use after choose "Run with VDMS" the "Set up a custom configuration". But this way is more complicated to descript here.
And also I clicked the Choose file button to set the path to the windows temporary directory to have more control over the VDMS.log.
I hope that this way also work for other users so well like it work for me.

Again a big THANKS to all guys behind the VDMSound Software.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. I wonder how many people actually use VDMSound anymore. It's been like....YEARS since I really used it for gaming purposes.

Only thing I use it for nowadays is compatibility testing for DosBox but even that will probably go away since I'm using my ol' P166 laptop now. (Truer DOS environment than NTVDM and VDMSound emulation).

Last edited by DosFreak on 2006-05-19, 19:04. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few years back I used VDMS over DOSBox mostly because the sound quality. I don't remember what version of DOSBox first matched VDMS's sound, but with that and the improving compatibility of DOSBox I don't have much use for VDMS anymore. Many thanks to Vlad for it, though, I got a lot of use out of it in its day.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers