VOGONS

Blood problem

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you try some other DOS games and tell us if they freeze as well? If they do then I probably know what it is.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 28, by XibaD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for answering DosFreak.

Ok, I did a little test, and the results were the same in all games I tested, so I stopped. I mean:

BlackThorne: black screen, with or without sound enabled.

Heimdall: frozen in setup screen.

Heimdall 2: black screen launching game. Frozen screen when setup is launched.

Mortal Kombat 2: frozen screen.

Al this games tested in Windows XP 32-bit SP2, with memory settings AUTOMATIC in dos shortcuts. I was to try more games, but I'm afraid the result will be the same.

Reply 25 of 28, by XibaD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you DosFreak. I took GIVEIO.SYS out of my windows system32 folder, restarted system and now Blood works like charm. With sluttered sound, I mean, but I think now It's time to mess around with VDMSound. By the way, I also tried BlackThorne and Hexen to see if all games worked, but they run little slow with sluttering sound. Could it be fixed installing VDMSound too?

And wich file is GIVEIO.SYS that doesn't affect system stability when removed off?

Thanks for all 😀

EDIT

Ok, VDMSound doesn't solve anything in the sound for me. Sluttered sound exists in Blood. I think can't be fixed, can it?

Reply 26 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you use the lowest quality settings. If you want high quality sound your either going to have to use DosBox or get an old machine.

Sound stuttering can also be improved by tweaking NTVDM settings (VDMSound .VLP shortcut), getting a better soundcard, and possibly using XP's sound emulation in some rare cases.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 28 of 28, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone interesting in setting up a 4 player Blood session over the internet? It will be possible using "Gamer's Internet Tunnel".

Reply here with your MSN or ICQ and we'll arrange a game!

Please sign the Blood source code release petition