VOGONS

Problems with QFG1VGA

Topic actions

First post, by Say Days Ago

User metadata

OK, I got my new computer about a month ago, windows XP, etc. I try to run QFG1VGA, and the sound doesn't work. I look for a solution on the internet, and Found VDMSound, and the new driver from sierra.com, and I downloaded them, and edited my QFG1NEW.BAT file to open it with VDMSound.
It worked, and I got sound, but whenever a sound stopped, it started to loop, and play over and over again, so I searched on here again, and found to fixes. one was a homemade "patch" that did nothing at all, and the other one was adding

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D7 T5 to the DOS enviroment tab on my Launchpad shortcut.
So I changed it to a launchpad shortcut instead of having the edited .BAT file, and I ran the game.
The sounds stopped looping, but the game freezes every 2 or 3 minutes.

any ideas?

Also, I havent figured out how to check all my system specs, how do I do that?

Last edited by Say Days Ago on 2003-03-16, 19:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 34, by Mike

User metadata

I'm having the same problem with Police Quest 1 VGA and Space Quest 5. The sounds keep looping. In PQ1VGA if I try to open a door the sound will loop endlessly causing the game to no longer be playable. In SQ5 it will loop for about 3 or 4 times and then finally stop. So it is still playable but rather annoying.

Reply 4 of 34, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😒
It doesn't work like that!
It's just like DOS. You run it, you get a pseudo-DOS prompt. You mount a directory using the MOUNT command, you do everything else just like DOS.
If you don't know how to use DOS I suggest you type 'HELP' inside DOSBox or find a good beginning DOS tutorial on the web.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kiewitz77 GoSierra v1 already fixed it.

Then what was the one Sierra title that GoSierra can't fix? I thought QFG1VGA was it...

In any case, "Say Days Ago" should try DosBox as well.

Reply 8 of 34, by kiewitz77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GoSierra v2 had the addition of fixing Dynamix games.
GoSierra v3 had the addition of fixing some special Dynamic CD-ROM games like Willy Beamish CD.

btw. FUCK WAR
Just wanted to state that. Thanx.

Reply 9 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kiewitz77 GoSierra v2 had the addition of fixing Dynamix games.

I meant that, as I understood it, there was one "classic" Sierra title that GoSierra couldn't fix due to changes specifically for that title.

btw. F**K WAR Just wanted to state that.

It would be best direct such a post to the "Millyways" forum as it's off-topic and likely to generate more off-topic posts.

Reply 11 of 34, by kiewitz77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I meant that, as I understood it, there was one "classic" Sierra title that GoSierra couldn't fix due to changes specifically for that title.

No, there was and is not.
The only game that is unpatchable is Heart Of China, but afaik it's a Dynamix game and uses hardcoded sound routines (not the normal drivers).

Reply 12 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kiewitz77 No, there was and is not. The only game that is unpatchable is Heart Of China,...

My memory was dyslexic. QFG1VGA was the apparently the only "classic" Sierra game that doesn't require patching by GoSierra.
showthread.php?threadid=1088

Reply 13 of 34, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kiewitz77 wrote:

No, there was and is not.
The only game that is unpatchable is Heart Of China, but afaik it's a Dynamix game and uses hardcoded sound routines (not the normal drivers).

Have you thought about getting help on it? Like a hint from one of the former game programmers?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/credits/gameId,164/
Jeff Tunnell currently works for GarageGames:
http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&m … e=view&qid=4046

Or Quest Studios? They recorded a great soundtrack:
http://www.queststudios.com/quest/hoc.html

Or the AGI/SCI development crew, who might have ideas on hacking it, even if the game is Dynamix DGDS and not SCI?
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/forum/index.php#3

[Off-topic]
Mr. Kiewitz, if VOGONS were to develop a board for hacking old DOS or Windows games to work on modern operating systems (modern or otherwise), would you be interested to be a participant? There seems not to be a good place for this, and VOGONS is as good a place as any (hmm, call it another HGTTG location, Snover?)

Your work on VSOUND seems to mean you are interested in much the same as the users of VDMSound, regardless the operating system. It seems like a good idea if you were to , um, hang out occasionally. (sorry, my english is bad.)

While you are here, you should know that MAME's YM3812 and YMF262 emulations are available upon request to use in VSOUND if you wish, you should ask Jarek Burczynski of MAME first as it is not GPL code.

Reply 14 of 34, by kiewitz77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Schadenfreude wrote:
Have you thought about getting help on it? Like a hint from one of the former game programmers? http://www.mobygames.com/game/cr […]
Show full quote

Have you thought about getting help on it? Like a hint from one of the former game programmers?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/credits/gameId,164/
Jeff Tunnell currently works for GarageGames:
http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&m … e=view&qid=4046

Actually I was not interested in getting it running, cause Heart of China only uses FM, which means selecting Soundblaster won't give you benefits over Adlib like sample-output.

[Off-topic]
Mr. Kiewitz, if VOGONS were to develop a board for hacking old DOS or Windows games to work on modern operating systems (modern or otherwise), would you be interested to be a participant? There seems not to be a good place for this, and VOGONS is as good a place as any (hmm, call it another HGTTG location, Snover?)

I'm only working on OS/2 / eComStation and on its VDM which is the best VDM that is available anywhere. I don't even have any type of Windows on my computer nor do I have any development tool for this OS. Fixing NT VDM would require one to rewrite everything anyway.

Your work on VSOUND seems to mean you are interested in much the same as the users of VDMSound, regardless the operating system. It seems like a good idea if you were to , um, hang out occasionally. (sorry, my english is bad.)

Actually no. VSOUND is not working like VDMSound, because the OS/2 VDM is completely different than the VDM under NT. Getting sound-data over to a Sounddriver under OS/2 means also replacing VDMA, which I already did, but also this isn't 100% done yet and requires a special interface for transfering sound-data to sound-drivers (that one is done by someone else, not by me), because physical drivers under OS/2 are 16-bit and VDDs are 32-bit. My VDMA replacement still needs some special tweaking and I currently don't have time for it.

While you are here, you should know that MAME's YM3812 and YMF262 emulations are available upon request to use in VSOUND if you wish, you should ask Jarek Burczynski of MAME first as it is not GPL code.

VSOUND will only offer a virtual Soundblaster 16, which will mean DAC playback (8-bit/16-bit/mono/stereo) first, MPU-401 support afterwards and Adlib/FM at last. Also VSOUND will not get released open-source and especially not GPL. I'm somewhat pissed off because of some open-source idiots and I'm not going back. I also withdraw all my sourcecodes from netlabs.org (open source community) including vcompat and some other VDDs. It has nothing to do with the owner of netlabs, but with some of its members.

Reply 15 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kiewitz77 wrote:
Actually I was not interested in getting it running, cause Heart of China only uses FM, which means selecting Soundblaster won't […]
Show full quote

Actually I was not interested in getting it running, cause Heart of China only uses FM, which means selecting Soundblaster won't give you benefits over Adlib like sample-output.

I'm only working on OS/2 / eComStation and on its VDM which is the best VDM that is available anywhere. I don't even have any type of Windows on my computer nor do I have any development tool for this OS. Fixing NT VDM would require one to rewrite everything anyway.

Actually no. VSOUND is not working like VDMSound, because the OS/2 VDM is completely different than the VDM under NT. Getting sound-data over to a Sounddriver under OS/2 means also replacing VDMA, which I already did, but also this isn't 100% done yet and requires a special interface for transfering sound-data to sound-drivers (that one is done by someone else, not by me), because physical drivers under OS/2 are 16-bit and VDDs are 32-bit. My VDMA replacement still needs some special tweaking and I currently don't have time for it.

VSOUND will only offer a virtual Soundblaster 16, which will mean DAC playback (8-bit/16-bit/mono/stereo) first, MPU-401 support afterwards and Adlib/FM at last. Also VSOUND will not get released open-source and especially not GPL. I'm somewhat pissed off because of some open-source idiots and I'm not going back. I also withdraw all my sourcecodes from netlabs.org (open source community) including vcompat and some other VDDs. It has nothing to do with the owner of netlabs, but with some of its members.

You should really hook up with Vlad (VDMSound Author).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 34, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can certainly understand why there would be some idiots in the crowd that pissed you off -- I mean, there are people like that anywhere -- but you certainly shouldn't let them get to you like this. Is there any chance of being able to port the OS/2 VDM to NT, or would that just be too much work?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 34, by kiewitz77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

I can certainly understand why there would be some idiots in the crowd that pissed you off -- I mean, there are people like that anywhere -- but you certainly shouldn't let them get to you like this. Is there any chance of being able to port the OS/2 VDM to NT, or would that just be too much work?

How do you want to "port" something, when you don't have the rights to the sources and actually no sources at all (the latter at least officially 😉 Also the VDM is nearly 100% assembly.