VOGONS

Problems with QFG1VGA

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 34, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kiewitz77 wrote:

How do you want to "port" something, when you don't have the rights to the sources and actually no sources at all (the latter at least officially 😉 Also the VDM is nearly 100% assembly.

This is what Snover is referring to:
showthread.php?postid=5339#post5339

Read here and down to the end. I believe that is what is being referred to here.

Reply 22 of 34, by kiewitz77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm done with open source. I'm not looking for another CVS-host.
BTW sourceforge is hosted and maintained by americans and that would be the second reason not to put my stuff on it.

This is what Snover is referring to:
showthr...d=5339#post5339

vCOMPAT contains OS/2 VDM specific fixes. It can't get "ported" anywhere. Fixing NT VDM would require one to reprogram the whole VDM, well at least the DPMI part, which is everything but easy.

Reply 23 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, no sense in tearing apart NTVDM when you can just build upon DosBox. 😀

Perhaps DosBox can be ported to OS/2? or can the Win32 executable already run under OS/2?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 34, by kiewitz77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Yep, no sense in tearing apart NTVDM when you can just build upon DosBox. 😀

Perhaps DosBox can be ported to OS/2? or can the Win32 executable already run under OS/2?

Why should one port a VDM to OS/2? OS/2 already has the best VDM with the longest compatibility list. Also a VDM has nothing to do with Win32 executables. And yes, it's possible to run some of them using Project Odin (something like Wine).

e.g.: The lastest Opera running under OS/2 is using Odin

Reply 26 of 34, by kiewitz77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Schadenfreude wrote:

No, he meant the PC emulator known as DOSBox.
http://dosbox.zophar.net
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox

VPC is available for OS/2 as well.

Anyway DOSBox is explained as follows:
"What is DOSBox?"
"It is a PC emulator with builtin DOS for running DOS Games primarily. For more information, visit the Info page"

So actually it's a VDM, at least it has a VDMs functionality.

Reply 27 of 34, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

kiewitz77, dude, you're a little more hostile than I like to see people be. I'm as pissed off as anyone at America (and yes, I am an American, *sigh*) but you can't blame everyone here for the idiocy of the politicans. [Personally I think it would have been better if the Confederacy had won the Civil War. Then Bush as President of MY United States would not even have occurred. 😉]

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 29 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover I'm as pissed off as anyone at America (and yes, I am an American, *sigh*) but you can't blame everyone here...

..and I'm "pissed" at people apologizing for the situation. Now, are we going to let this off-topic grow here? move it to Millways? or let it die?

Reply 30 of 34, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kiewitz77 wrote:
VPC is available for OS/2 as well. […]
Show full quote

VPC is available for OS/2 as well.

Anyway DOSBox is explained as follows:
"What is DOSBox?"
"It is a PC emulator with builtin DOS for running DOS Games primarily. For more information, visit the Info page"

So actually it's a VDM, at least it has a VDMs functionality.

You might find it interesting. They always looking for good ASM debuggers (to reverse-engineer games to find what is causing a game not to run in DOSBox)

There's already a Linux port. OS/2 would be very cool.

I thought, BTW, that Virtual PC had made a rule not to support OS/2? Maybe that was OS/2 running IN VPC. But I did not know that they had a OS/2-native version of VPC. Very cool.

To be true, his anti-Windows opinions are grating too, Snover, but it's no reason to drive him away. Besides, use Google. He is known for it.

Reply 31 of 34, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hate Windows too, heh, especially since OS/2 was clearly a superior product and Microsoft should have never been so successful. Now, though, I must say, Microsoft has finally pushed a decent product with Windows 2000 (and dare I say XP, although only the Professional licensed ones that don't require activation, of which my school's IT department has four copies locked in a fireproof safe 😄)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 32 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ...and dare I say XP, although only the Professional licensed ones that don't require activation, ...

The general uproar over activation that I had expected hasn't happened (for the general public that is...).

MSoft managed to sidestep around upsetting a lot of people by "softening" activation triggered by hardware changes (went from a complete lockout demanding that you contact Microsoft to a warning that you would be locked out if you don't contact Microsoft within 3 days). More importantly, they have assured that a number of "packaged" systems are "pre-activated", so the consumer doesn't even see it.

eMachines have gone so far as to use "Restore" CD's instead of an OS (uses Norton Ghost with an image of a "clean" install). That basically guarantees that the OS is "stuck" to its original hardware. You can't swap out major hardware like the motherboard without triggering activation, and you can bet they won't authorize a motherboard swap on a packaged system.

Hrmm...

Reply 34 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover That's not legal, heh.
All systems MUST come with a copy of Microsoft Windows if it is running Microsoft Windows.

Actually, if you follow the links, you'll see that all they require is the fancy bar-code sticker on the PC. It does have a license for the OS, and technically it does come with XP on the CD's (it's just that using the restore option is the only way to install it).