VOGONS

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now this is weird. In trying to learn how to create a shortcut with VDMS (which I still don't understand), I saw that VDMS allegedly "will not work" with Windows programs. Well, I could not get the Windows only version of Jack Orlando Director's Cut to work because of sound problems, so not realizing that VDMS was for DOS only I tried it and resolved the problem (but only when starting from the Orlando Menu and not directly starting the game). Anyway, VDMS did the trick, which is why I am trying to create a shortcut to run JACKSTART.EXE using VDMS.

I would appreciate any help on this possible, but thought you would like to know that VDMS seems to be the only solution to this Windows only game (and I know for sure that this is not the old DOS version - which they did not convert into the Director's Cut).

DC

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't suppose there's some other EXE that JACKSTART.EXE might be running? How do you know for sure that "they did not convert [it] into the Director's Cut"? It might still use the same code somewhere.

Anyway, what about making a BAT file that runs JACKSTART.EXE, and make a VDMSound shortcut to the BAT file?

Reply 2 of 3, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. I actually tried that but oddly enough it only seems to work randomly. The worst part is that when the sound is not working right the MENU will not open! This is all strange and frustrating. I am just waiting for the day that someone makes a Windows emulator for Windows.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, you've heard of WINE, right? Not perfectly compatible just yet, but quite impressive nonetheless.

Alas, there's no such thing as WINE for Windows right now, but you can always run some flavor of Linux in VMware or Virtual PC (both of which are now available for free) and run WINE that way.

http://www.winehq.com