VOGONS

Pandora Directive

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 150, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
basti007 wrote:

Well, i only can tell that on every WinXP system i tested (9 computers) it ran without any visible problem except the CD switching issue. And I also got some emails from others who also succeded in getting it run quite smoothly... At least: It ran!

Yes, in my case the game ran also smoothly. But only for some time. 😢 I would like to hear about somebody who could play this game to the end in XP without the stability problems (sudden crashes). I spent lots of time playing with the settings and I´m rather disappointed that I still cannot play the game in XP. I tried both downloaded tex.exe and also the file I had changed with the hex editor.

basti007 wrote:

But It's probably a good idea to add that "do it on your own risk disclaimer" to the text file.

I think that it would be better with that disclaimer and maybe also with a warning about possible stability problems.

BTW: Basti, since you have the game, could you please test it with DOSBox? I cannot run Pandora in it and I would like some independent confirmation on that behaviour.

Reply 141 of 150, by Guest

User metadata

Strange you'd finally write

I've been in and out of hospital since September, my apologies

I just went to that site the other day... hm.

Always glad to see you there.

Anyway, I'm not as bitter as I sounded originally, don't worry so much. Mostly kneejerk reaction to places like TheUnderdogs not attributing.

I'm sorry that the other gaming sights don't believe in giving credit where credit is due. Inferno's Adventures is not one of those. I'm still waiting for the names of those involved as I would like to let all my readers know who you are. If Vogons is enough fine...but I don't think so... Each of you should get proper credit.

I will tell you that 237 different gamers had asked for the tex4.exe either by download or by private email request from the evening that Basti007's etup was published until Feb06,2004. Your patch has worked everytime for them and me as well. I don't think you realize just what a godsend your site truly is, Colin, You and yours are to be commended.

Jiri: I do have a "general" disclaimer located on The Missions Page.

But for the peace of mind of this board, if you so desire I will place one on Basti's Setup...but ...I'd prefer if it was written by Basti and not me.

Please let me know your thought on this ....
Once again I am truly grateful for what all of you do for the gaming community.

Until Then

Inferno

Reply 142 of 150, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Inferno,

Saw on the Disclaimer page that you're gonna try UAKM? Check this out:
UAKM under windows???.......read on.

(Remarkably similar to your Pandora walkthru, no?)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 144 of 150, by infernoj13usa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Stiletto:

Saw on the Disclaimer page that you're gonna try UAKM? Check this out:
viewtopic.p...light=uakm

(Remarkably similar to your Pandora walkthru, no?)

The Pandora Setup Walkthrough to which you refer, while on Inferno's Adventures was not authored by me. As it says clearly on the walkthrough Basti007 is the author.

If and when I find the time to get this game running on My Windows Xp System; I will be sure to first give proper credit to any and all that help me do so. And if anything is either given to me or taken from ANY site that is not mine I will have written authorization to do so. I believe tht this is only fair and proper.

RE: Disclaimer

I have a general disclaimer for those that care to read it. If Basti wishes to add one to his walkthroughs, I am more than happy to accomodate him, as well as anyone else who writes for the site.
Inferno

Reply 145 of 150, by Guest

User metadata

thanks alot to everybody who contributed precious info to this thread. thanks to that i was finally able to get the game working smoothly under XP SP2, with stereo sound and midi. its amazing, i havent played this game for a decade. I LOVE YOU!

asus A7V8X board, AMD athlon 2800, 1GB DDR 333mhz, Geforce Ti4800SE

things you need to make it work under XP:
most actual chipset, dX and GFX drivers installed. all winxp patches

basically i just downloaded the hacked exe from this thread and configured the VDMS. here are the important values for me:
+ and - mean enabled and disabled, respectively.

compatibility:
-EMS
+XMS min. 16 MB
+DPMI support
+CLI/POPF hack
-VESA basic (when this was enabled it caused low FPS in videos)
+CDROM low level support
-low level network support

performance
+cap DOS timer frequency
-Try to reduce CPU usage (you might try to enable this, didnt work fine for me, tho)
Polling period 2/10 ms

MIDI
choose MS wavetable synth as output device

adlib
disabled

soundblaster
choose SB 1.x as digital sound processor
i had to set the buffer to 100ms to achieve glitchless playback

joystick
disabled

that are the values that made pandroa run fine on my machine. just wanted to let you know, in case someone still has problems with this issue.

but now i really have to start playing, i hope for everyone that it will run, because this game rocks.

BTW: i still had a few timestreches in the midi sound, i.e. suddenly it was playing a bit slower in the tempo. i wasnt able to fix this yet, but its not very bad, its hardly perceptable

Reply 147 of 150, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might try Dosbox nowadays. Version 0.65 is very capable of playing Pandora Directive and Under A Killing Moon.

Running the game directly under XP with VDMSound is possible (like the others proved here), but a big hassle and still remains buggy (bad sound quality etc.)

Reply 148 of 150, by Demolution

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried playing Pandora Directive on dosbox, the sounds glitchy and video is laggy with those cut scenes, interactive scenes and just walking around the rooms, even if it's on the lowest resolution and lowest detail.

Any ideas how to fix this issue? 😒

EDIT: Nevermind, found another site to fix it up, thanks for the posts guys/girls. 😀

Reply 149 of 150, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since you already found another solution, I doubt you'll still read this.
But if you still want to try it out with DOSBox, you might set the cycles higher (press repeatedly ALT+F12), than the sound and cutscene problems should cease.