VOGONS

First post, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all, and thank you first of all for the great work on VDMS< it is a wonder and has revolutionized my collection of old classics and my study of them.

One problem I havent solved yet, Kyranida II simply will not start up with DOSBOX and VDMS, and I can't figure out why and some others here have posted the same thing recently and a while back:.....they say:

I've been using VDMSound for awhile now; it's worked perfectly on Fate of Atlantis, Kyrandia 1, Sam n' Max. However, after finding a copy of one of my favorite games, Kyrandia 2 : The Hand of Fate, on eBay, I was appalled to find that I could not run the program with VDMSound. After setting XMS and EMS memory setting to Auto, the game would run with no problems without it [sound], but when I try, VDSSound loads, but then, in the DOS prompt as the game begnis to start up, it suddenly says "A CD-Rom Device Driver is required to run Hand of Fate CD."

I have the exact same problem as this previous poster and the thread was locked...sooo, sorry but I had to try to post again as I am really wanting to try to figure this out.

The only sound I get is crackling in my speakers, and no real sound or music.

I have an AMD 3300 with 400 GB HDD, 2.5 GB RAM, Geforce FX 6600 Vid, Audigy 2Zs Snd Crd, 2/5 ~ghz system, running VDMS 2.0.4, DOSBOX 0.65 and I use De FEND front end, but tried to use straight DOSBOX when this install and start up would not work. I got the config set with Soundblaster as the emulated sound system.

I do not understand what it means to enable low level CD support which some other replies have refered to, the only adjustment I have been able to determine to make is with a shortcut that set EMS etc on Auto, that helped and got the game running but NO SOUND....

And I cant figure out how to get the shortcut, which enables the EMS etc to state specifially that it is running with VDMS, i may not understand thiis clearly enough, I am not a wizard at the tech stuff yet, far from it.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? the error message that Hand of FAte requires a CD Driver just does not make sense, as I have a fine and functional DVD drive and it runs CD's fine. Should I download a CD driver and install just the driver to make this program run? And why does it not run with sound? Any suggestoins will be welcomed with open arms as I would love to hear this great game in full sound, I got all three of the Kyrandia series with speech and have gotten I and III to run successfully.

Thanks to all for this great emulator and for all the work done on it, and help here.

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/

Reply 1 of 4, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox has its own internal CD-ROM driver interface that it exposes to programs running inside it. You need to enable this by mounting the CD with the option -ioctl

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 4, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you VERY muich for the reply I have been working on this for some weeks now, off and on,

So if I install using:

mount c c:\WESTWOOD\HOFCD
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
d:
install

where would I put the -ioctl?

thanks for any suggestions as I am quite new to DOSBOX and VDMS
thanks again

Last edited by CrisGer on 2006-09-19, 15:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Admin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/

Reply 4 of 4, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

THANK YOU SIRE I am very excited and happy and thanks so much,

I will have to try it after work, but I am really encouraged. thanks so much
a million apprecations. 😊

Admin