VOGONS

How to run BUILD engine games with VDMSound - Solution!!!!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Stewwy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is not something I did, but I came across it so I thought I'd share.

Well here is how you use VDMSound with build engine games - http://buildxp.deathmask.net/

This works 100% with v1.3 or 1.5 of Duke3d. I don't have the other build games, but he has Shadowwarrior and Blood listed as well. He walks you through it step by step, and it is easy and just a plain fantastic site.

I would suggest the Admin's sticky this or some topic with the http://buildxp.deathmask.net/ address, as it will save you all lots of headaches.

Pointing people to the port just isn't the answer for most of the compiler ignorant public, because the instructions of how to use it are so poor and murky. The http://buildxp.deathmask.net/ page is a perfect example of how to help people with step by step instructions and troubleshooting tips.

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, I'll continue to point people to the port's for the games that do have ports.

Having to install and configure a bunch of things and deal with NTVDM's problems is just a PITA. If that's what you like to do fine, but don't pretend that it's easier to do than to just install the port and play the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to agree with DosFreak: The source ports are way superior.

Not only are they better looking (especially with texture and model packs), but they are much more stable, better configurable and EASIER to run under Windows. For these ports you actually don't NEED step by step instructions (neither do you need compiling)!

Too bad there isn't a port for Blood (and probably there never will be because of copyright uncertainties.)

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He doesn't say you need to compile to run the game. He provides you with the option to compile the game.

The binaries are provided so that you do not have to compile.

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d

Available on this site is a snapshot of the source plus the corresponding binaries of the port for your sampling. There are some special release notes detailing the brand new features of this release. You will need the latest version of my Build port to compile the game.

Man, that jump to conclusions guy from Office Space must be making a killing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 9, by Stewwy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No I'm ignorant of these things. Thanks for trying to make me look stupid. You're people skills are lacking, greatly.

Is this how you treat everyone who is new to your forums and is trying to HELP!?!?!?!

Last time I try to help here.

Yes you're right, I'm wrong. Feel better now? At least what I posted will help for those trying to run Blood.

ut yes for Duke and Shadowwarrior use the ported versions.

toodles

Reply 6 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Oh well your main point was that compiling the sources of ports is
difficult (maybe right) so the conclusion was to not use them (partly right).
Quite often installing prebuilt ports is very easy.

That does not mean that going the VDMS way is wrong or something,
many people actually prefer playing games the original way. And the
page you posted a link to shows a nice and not-that-hard way how to
achieve this.

And keep in mind DosFreak wants to help as well 😉

Reply 7 of 9, by marco75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, only the Duke Nukem 3D source port is truly superior -- why?
Because of the High Resolution Pack that is available for it. Not only are most textures upgraded to super high res, all the monsters and most objects are now fully 3D. You can look a full 90 degrees up and down, this helps you kill enemies in hard to reach places.

On the other hand, I have played Blood under VDMS extensively... the default guide at deatmask doesn't play the game well, for that see Sidious' guide in the forum. For Blood, this is the only way to play the game in XP, but it works very well.

Shadow Warrior does have a source port... but it makes the mistake of letting the player see full 90 degrees up and down -- while all the enemies and objects are still sprites... so they all look like cardboard cutouts. It's a terrible effect, for that reason alone, SW + VDMS is the superior option.

Reply 8 of 9, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I beg to differ. Blood via DOSBox is undeniably simpler than and superior to a VMDS solution for XP. Moreover x64 users can't use VMDS so it's either DOSBox or source ports for them.

Shadow Warrior would also be better placed within DOSBox. VDMS is pretty silly by today's standards and that's probably why it and it's commercial cousin are no longer updated.

Reply 9 of 9, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are still some BUILD games, such as Blood and Redneck Rampage that do NOT have the source released, thus no sourceport. BLOOD IS NOT OPEN SOURCE, Monolith apparently LOST the sourcecode 🤣. So they say. Only Duke3D and Shadow Warrior are open source to my knowledge.

That page helped me a lot in getting the original Redneck Rampage and Blood to go, even though RR is not listed on the site.

And I still can't get the "Family Reunion" double CD pack to work with the guide, but am working on it.

Sorry for the very old topic bump, but with this point in mind I hope an admin/mod would reconsider making this a sticky.

I also prefer to run the original Shadow Warrior in VDMSound, JF's sourceport is still dodgy as hell (but JFDuke is very good).

Regards,
CosmicDan