VOGONS

KQ7 MIDI...

Topic actions

First post, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get the MIDI music to play while I'm playing the game. I made the Resource.cfg changes, made the bat file, and using VDMsound the game plays smoothly and the wav files play fine. I just can't get the MIDI to work. Any ideas?

kq9save#.png

Reply 1 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you play MIDIs in Windows? Be sure your RESOURCE.CFG has:
soundDrv = GENMIDI.DRV

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is GENMIDI.DRV in the game's directory? You might want to just play the game in DOSBox. Just remember to mount your CD, too.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 11, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes resource.cfg is in the directory. I hadn't tried either vdmsound or dosbox using the cd because I had copied all the files over from the cd into the directory. I tried dosbox, mounted the cd drive with ioctl support and put it in fullscreen. The ingame animations were pretty choppy and the load game screen from the main menu took forever to fade in. The wav sound worked fine but still no midi played.
After this I tried vdmsound again but this time I had the cd in. This time the screen was distorted but I could hear the sounds and music (not the midi since it was impossible to navigate around the main menu and load a game). I couldn't see anything so I just hit the windows key and quit. I ejected the cd and tried vdmsound again but it did the same thing. I have no idea what happened to make it do this, it's the same file.

kq9save#.png

Reply 5 of 11, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why don't you use the Windows version of the game? Ran fine for me on XP (with the exception of the firecracker bug - but this should happen with the DOS version and VDMSound as well).

If you are playing the Windows version, why are you using VDMSound? This program is not needed, because it is for DOS games only.
(The only Windows exception where this can help, is the batch trick for KQ6, but this is not necessary for KQ7.)

Reply 7 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wintermute wrote:

Why don't you use the Windows version of the game? Ran fine for me on XP (with the exception of the firecracker bug - but this should happen with the DOS version and VDMSound as well).

If you are playing the Windows version, why are you using VDMSound? This program is not needed, because it is for DOS games only.
(The only Windows exception where this can help, is the batch trick for KQ6, but this is not necessary for KQ7.)

@ Wintermute - The firecracker bug is a big reason to use DOSBox. Unlike KQ6, the Windows version of KQ7 has nothing over the DOS version. The game will not even run natively in 64 bit Windows (the future of Windows as it is with most modern OSs) without an emulator and few emulators have as high of quality sound as DOSBox.

@ Flubly - It may be that something got corrupted since you first set it up. Why not start from the beginning again, Reinstall the game again like in the earlier thread. and just keep any of your save games. KQ7CDSG.CAT, KQ7CDSG.000, KQ7CDSG.001 etc. and drop them in the reinstalled game's folder.

Reply 9 of 11, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No luck. I was extra careful in copying over the files from the cd and downloaded the zip file with the files already manipulated instead of doing it myself. Neither vdmsound or dosbox got the midi. Actually vdms did the strange screen distortion again, I thought that it would be normal again after the fresh install.

kq9save#.png

Reply 10 of 11, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it has to do with my general midi. Even though I can play .mid files, I can't seem to access either of my soundcards' library through a player or something like that. I went on the desktop and it played the game and midi fine, but that was an audigy 2 zs which has its GM library available for easy access.

kq9save#.png

Reply 11 of 11, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow people I'm really sorry on wasting time, the midi was muted on volume control. I'll probably start a new thread in the dosbox section about getting the game not to be so choppy after I do some research to see if I can't fix it me-self.

kq9save#.png