VOGONS

Play CD tracks in Alone

Topic actions

First post, by Twinsen

User metadata

The musics of Alone in the dark are audio tracks. And when I launch the game with VDMS Launchpad, I get sound effects but the musics are not played ! (even with "music : on" in the options of the game...)
My CD Drive is not mute so I wonder if this is because VDMS can't play audio tracks, or maybe Idid something wrong...

Does anybody know how to have those audio tracks being played normally in the game ???

Reply 2 of 60, by Twinsen

User metadata

Uh... Looks like nobody is inspired by my problem...
Let me explain a little bit more so...

I had the same problem with Day of the tentacle : I had sound effetcs and no music because (I think) it was read directly from the CD. But I solved it with ScummVM.

For Alone 1, it's the same : music is played from the CD and there is not in the game... Or I don't know, maybe I'm wrong... Maybe it's a sound emulation problem. Maybe the music of Alone has nothing to do with Adlib emulation for example...

HELP ME, I'm lost !!!
Does anybody had the same problem with his Alone 1 CD game ????

Twinsen
(a frenchie guy who'd love to visit the US one day !!)

Reply 3 of 60, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Uh... Looks like nobody is inspired by my problem...

With all due respect, give us some time... You only waited 24 hours. Many of us have plenty of things to do outside of this board, and may not post for days at a time.

For Alone 1, it's the same : music is played from the CD and there is not in the game... Or I don't know, maybe I'm wrong... Maybe it's a sound emulation problem. Maybe the music of Alone has nothing to do with Adlib emulation for example...

As far as I know, only versions 2 and 3 use CD-audio tracks. In any case, please follow the Posting Guidelines and give us your system specifications as they are almost always needed to help troubleshoot technical problems.

Presuming that you have installed VDMSound and the GUI Launchpad, have you enabled "low-level CD-ROM support" on the VLP file created by the Launchpad?

(a frenchie guy who'd love to visit the US one day !!)

Well, you're welcome to visit. Just choose your destination carefully, as there is a wide, wide range of environments here. Northeast New Mexico is nice and quiet...too quiet. It takes two hours to get anywhere, and it's quite possible get piles of sand blown into your 3rd-floor dormitory room. On the upside, a "traffic jam" means two cars in front of you at a red light.

(No angry messages from New Mexico citizens, please...)

Reply 4 of 60, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've only ever had the floppy ver so can't help ya there. You can verify if it has CD audio by sticking it in a CD player....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 60, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen ...music is played from the CD and there is not in the game...

Ok, found my CD version of AitD 1 and confirmed that it does indeed, play audio tracks (just like AitD 2 & 3).

Presuming you are running Windows 2000 or XP, make sure you enable low-level CD-ROM support. You may also need to enable (or disable) "Digital CD-Audio" for your CD-ROM (not sure if it's labeled this way in Win2000). Also, if you have multiple CD drives, be sure and place the CD-ROM in the "first" CD-ROM drive in the system.

Originally posted by Snover Trust me.

Don't trust him.

You don't want to visit here.

Yes you do...

It sucks,...

No it doesn't...

...and you'll probably be detained without a fair trial for not having a VISA.

Apparently Snov' wasn't paying attention as you need a passport, not a VISA to visit the U.S.

You really only need a VISA if you are staying here for College or similar long-term training, or performing a job while you are here.

(The green card, not the credit card.)

Actually, having a Visa credit card and using it for your expenses is a good idea. It keeps you from having to exchange French and American currency repeatedly and VISA will automatically perform the exchange between the two currencies at the best possible exchange price (I learned this while stationed in the U.K.).

I kind of like places like Fredricksburg. I still remember how unusual it was to be in the Japanese Garden of the museum dedicated to a WWII hero from a German town in Texas that fought the Japanese. Nice little place to visit. You might like it. While in the area, you might visit the French Legation Museum.

Then again, you might just drop by Six Flags over Texas and try out the new Superman ride.

Reply 7 of 60, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hello everybody !

I have a Pentium 4, 512 Mo Ram, 512 Ko mem cache (I don't know how it's called in english...), GeForce 4 64Mo, Yamaha AC-XG (sound card), running under XP.

And yes, I have VDMS + Launchpad (which is... a great program !) and I have enabled low-level Mscdex.
I have only one CD Drive (my PC is a portable) so there's no mistake about it.
But, how can I disable/enable "digital cd audio" ?? (I don't even know what it is...)

Woah, it seems to be complicated to come to the US !!...
(especially if you're french at this time...) But I won't give up !

Reply 9 of 60, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Hello everybody !

Hello again...

I have a Pentium 4, 512 Mo Ram, 512 Ko mem cache (I don't know how it's called in english...),

Close enough.

GeForce 4 64Mo, Yamaha AC-XG (sound card), running under XP.

Just so you know, the GeForce 4 has problems with VESA/SVGA programs and will probably require NOLFB.COM to run any DOS titles at 640x480 resolution (no higher than that). That doesn't apply to AitD, but it will be true for other games.

And yes, I have VDMS + Launchpad (which is... a great program !) and I have enabled low-level Mscdex.
But, how can I disable/enable "digital cd audio" ?? (I don't even know what it is...)

Well, are you getting the CD-audio yet? You shouldn't change the settings if you are getting the music.

To change them, click your Start button, go to Control Panel. If it has a "Switch to Classic view" icon, click that. Click on the System icon, click the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, Choose DVD/CD-Rom Drives, double-click your CD-ROM, click Properties. You should see a "Enable digital CD audio" box. A check means it is using Digital audio. Choose, then click OK.

Woah, it seems to be complicated to come to the US !!...

Well, you'll need a passport to go anywhere outside of the E.U. You might consider going with a tour group, they are easier for people who don't travel very often.

But I won't give up !

Sounds good. I'll just give you Snover's address and you can stay there for a while.
*Heh* *Heh* *Heh*

Reply 10 of 60, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

I have only one CD Drive (my PC is a portable) so there's no mistake about it.

Twinsen, I made some tests with Alone in the Dark and got CD music after I ran the install program a second time. Try to run install.exe using the Launchpad and remember to enable low-level CD access for it. Click "Options", then "Hardware Opt" and see if you get an option to play music from the CD in the first combo box. If it's there, select it, then close the hardware options dialog and remember to click on "Update" in the main install screeen (if you don't do this your new options will not be saved". I got sound effects and CD music in the game this way.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12 of 60, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by MajorGrubert ...and see if you get an option to play music from the CD in the first combo box. If it's there, select it, then close the hardware options dialog and remember to click on "Update" in the main install screen

Just so you know, there is no CD music option for my version. It only displays "Buzzer" (PC Speaker), AdLib, and SoundBlaster for audio.

If the PC is capable (SoundBlaster audio, proper CD-ROM drivers with audio cable hooked up...), it automatically plays the music.

Reply 13 of 60, by Twinsen

User metadata

I just did as you told me Nicht Sehr Gut : I disabled "digital cd audio"... and it works !!! I have sound effects AND music in Alone in the dark !!!

Oh I'm so happy guys, you can't imagine !!!!
Alone 1 must be my first PC video game, and it's one of the best games ever !!!!! Damn, i'ts wondeful !!!!

How could I thank you guys ?????!!!!
I couldn't imagine being able to play again to Alone 10 years after its release !!!!

I love you all !!!!
(well, in a friendly way of course, hum)

Reply 14 of 60, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Twinsen wrote:

How could I thank you guys ?????!!!!
I couldn't imagine being able to play again to Alone 10 years after its release !!!!

Donate to VOGONS? 😁
donate-paypal.png
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=vogons … g=1&cn=Comments

Reply 16 of 60, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen I just did as you told me Nicht Sehr Gut : I disabled "digital cd audio"... and it works !!!

Hrmm. Mine just stopped working. *heh* Too many configuration changes...will get to it later.

I have sound effects AND music in Alone in the dark !!!

...and there was much rejoicing...yea.

Damn, i'ts wondeful !!!!

Ooo...a paradox. *heh*

I love you all !!!! (well, in a friendly way of course, hum)

*heh*

Uh, don't forget I live in France, and I don't like payments by internet ('think it's not secured enough yet)...

*heh* Twinsen joins the ranks of the "GliDOS should be free" people.

Well, in any case, enjoy. Try visiting the U.K. in the near future. It's an adventure in itself. Just remember to look the other way before crossing the street so you don't join the ranks of "Dead Tourists in the U.K.".

Reply 17 of 60, by Twinsen

User metadata

Well guys, I'm back with a whole new mathematic problem...
I installed Alone 2 and it works. But Alone 3... can't even been launched.

When I launch the game normally, nothing products.
When I launch it with VDMS, I get this error message :

" File-01 : File not found :
Etage01.pak "

If I remember good my old days, I think it's a memory problem.
But... as the DOS does not "exist" anymore with XP, it don't know how I can solve this riddle...

Any idea ?...
(and sorry for busing you again...)

Reply 18 of 60, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nicht Sehr Gut
Just remember to look the other way before crossing the street so you don't join the ranks of "Dead Tourists in the U.K.".

I met the very opposite problem. While in London for a few weeks, I took *so much* care at looking at the other way that, back in France, when I crossed the street outside the station, I almost didn't see the bus roaming at my left.

It took me a few more days to stop tilting my head around frantically, as I was still unable to remember from which side of the road the cars were likely to come from 😁

Reply 19 of 60, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Alone 3... can't even been launched.

Well, AitD3 is the DOS/Windows Hybrid, so it can be a troublemaker.

When I launch the game normally, nothing products.

Actually, it probably has the same error without VDMSound, but you don't see the error because Windows it closing the command line before you can see it.

When I launch it with VDMS, I get this error message :
" File-01 : File not found :
Etage01.pak "

Two things to remember:
1) Do not use the Windows installer on Windows XP (WINSTALL.EXE)
2) When you install the game, do it this way:

Right-click on the INSTALL.EXE on the CD-ROM, then choose "Run with VDMS" without the little musical note (if you try to run the one with the musical note, it will still work...but will give you a LOT of errors). Choose "SoundBlaster DMA" for sound effects.

After installing, choose "Run with VDMS" with the little musical note. The first time you run it, it will fail with an error like:
CD Not Found
Drive not in play mode
35=CDError N°
CDROM-01:Wrong CDROM.

..but it will create the .VLP file you need to run. Right-click the AITD3.VLP file, choose "Properties", then select "Enable low-level CD-ROM support", then click OK.

For some strange reason, this one is really picky.

If I remember good my old days, I think it's a memory problem.

Well, it does need EMS. VDMSound will provide that automatically.

Originally posted by Kaminari I met the very opposite problem. While in London for a few weeks, I took *so much* care at looking at the other way that, back in France, when I crossed the street outside the station, I almost didn't see the bus roaming at my left.

It's worse if you're coming from the States. We have wider roads with almost all having a buffer between the paved road and the curb (the shoulder). We're used to being able to step off the curb without immediately being "in the road".

Most of the roads I saw in the U.K. have little to no "shoulder". The "road" starts immediately at the edge of the curb. So it's a lot easier for us to get smacked by a lorry, because we're used to having more space available...