My comp spec is
P4 2 GHZ
Ram 512 MB
Asus V-7700 (GF2 GTS 64MB)
SB AUDIGY
WIN XP SP1

All dos games I've tried work fine without using sound, but once
I played with VDM it's getting slow really bad.. like 386 😒
Is there anything I have to set to make it faster?
hmm I think I once used smartdrv.com to make it faster in the time I used DOS OS. Is there something like this in WIN XP?

Reply 1 of 4, by DRECK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Search for "slow" and you'll know: You are not the only one who have this problem 😉

[showthread.php?threadid=1121&highlight=slow]

[showthread.php?threadid=734&highlight=slow]

[showthread.php?threadid=243&highlight=slow]

[showthread.php?threadid=243&highlight=slow]

Reply 2 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by saboo All dos games I've tried work fine without using sound, but once
I played with VDM it's getting slow really bad.. like 386

We need specific titles, don't lump everything together.

Remember that there is no DOS within XP, just a command line with a form of DOS emulation. Once we have names, we can try to figure what the problem is...

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by saboo It seems to be everygame I play.. here is the list..

HoooOkay... This is a mess. Be aware that there are a large number of reasons for DOS titles to run slowly in XP, not the least of which is that these weren't meant to run in NT.

Goblins2: Can't help here as mine is the CD-ROM version and flat-out refuses to run in XP.

KingQuest 6: I believe this needs a soundblast.drv update, will need to check on it. In the meantime, you might try using the Windows version (install with SETUP.EXE instead of INSTALL) with XP's compatibility mode options (all of them).

Budokan: IIRC, this uses the PC speaker for sound effects, which frequently won't work right on modern PC's. Use DosBoxinstead. Be sure and read the ReadMe that comes with it. I prefer emulating the Amiga version myself, much easier on the ears.

Tom & Jerry - Cannon Fodder: Don't have these to test.

Karateka: Why on Earth are you using VDMSound with Karateka? It has no digital or FM audio, only speaker sound. Either use DosBox or emulate one of the many other versions that don't use that horrid CGA palette.

While you're at it, try this, Download Ms. Pac-Em from this thread:
attachment.php?postid=11416

It's small, and good for testing. Use either installer and run MSPACEM.EXE with and without VDMSound.

Without VDMSound should give you poor audio and (probably) no music when starting the game. With VDMSound should give you good quality sound effects and music. The game should run at the same speed either way.