VOGONS

Sound problems with dos games

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I'm sorry that the thread repeats, but when i read the others (couple of times) i didn't manage to get the solution..
I'm with XP Pro Corp +SP1 +all updates
PC: p3 600 (overburn 700)
ASUS Intel chipset
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 (latest drivers)
Geforce 2 MX440 64MB (latest drivers)
VDMSound 2.0.4 + launchpad 1.0.0.7 - when sound played (fired gun, change menus, generally fx sound not music) game laggs
updated VDMSound 2.0.4.1 + launchpad 1.0.0.7 - same problem (update just overwrited files in dir) (added [VDMServicesProvider.config]
fixPOPF = 1)
VDMSound 2.0.4.1 + updated launchpad 1.0.0.9d - same problem
(update just copyied file in dir, didn't uninstall previous just install) (again added
[VDMServicesProvider.config]
fixPOPF = 1)
games - doom, wichheaven...
pls help?
and i see threads about some update2 but never managed to find it..

Reply 1 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered ...and i see threads about some update2 but never managed to find it..

That's because it's part of a not-yet-released VDMSound. People were supposed to keep their mouths shut until it was ready for public release.

doom,

Do yourself a favor. Do NOT run the original DOS version of DOOM on XP. Head on over to http://doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/index.php?platform=2 and grab one of the many Windows "Source Ports". I recommend JDOOM using the DOOMSDAY engine... If you don't like the "frills", turn them off. If that port doesn't suit you, try the Legacy port or any of the others...

wichheaven...

Witchaven? It is a Problem Child. It uses the BUILD engine which means you will have problems with running it on XP. The "Brute Force" fix for the audio bug (fixPopF) is only part of the trouble it has...

The setup program on mine repeatedly crashed. Apparently due to a runtime error. That means whomever coded the setup program did not account for faster processors. I was unable to patch it, therefore was unable to change my game configuration from it's original Windows98 setup (this may or may not have been updated with a re-release). Even getting it to run without audio, there is the VESA issue. Using NOLFB.COM with Geforce 2 should allow for VESA display modes (hopefully).

Unfortunately, after all that, I found WitchHaven to be completely unplayable. Delayed keyboard response, keys that would "stick", keys that refused to respond,...not good. Other than switching to DOS/Win9x, I know of no solution. That's one of the reasons I kept Windows98 when I installed XP and let it set up a Dual-Boot for me.

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

That's because it's part of a not-yet-released VDMSound. People were supposed to keep their mouths shut until it was ready for public release.

*COUGH* VLAD!!!! *COUGH*!!!!

😉

He's just too nice.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

[Unfortunately, after all that, I found WitchHaven to be completely unplayable. Delayed keyboard response, keys that would "stick", keys that refused to respond,...not good. Other than switching to DOS/Win9x, I know of no solution. That's one of the reasons I kept Windows98 when I installed XP and let it set up a Dual-Boot for me.

Really i don't like the idea of installing and then booting to 98se when wanting to play oldgames (mirc's\icq's\httpd\ftpd\..) maybe i'll stop playing some games.. 🙁
Btw what causes this lag in keyboard response/stickykeys/refused response keys, it is common in doom also when i enable sound?
And i didn't have any problems with the setup program?..
Any ideas on how to slow pc? Airborne Ranger keeps speeding and quarantene also..
And anyone did manage to start Armored Fist over vdmsound?

Reply 4 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Really i don't like the idea of installing and then booting to 98se when wanting to play oldgames...

Like I said, your options are limited. There are numerous games of mine I have yet to run properly in XP.

...(mirc's\icq's\httpd\ftpd\..) maybe i'll stop playing some games..

What do "mirc's\icq's\httpd\ftpd" have to do with not being able to run some DOS games?

Btw what causes this lag in keyboard response/stickykeys/refused response keys, it is common in doom also when i enable sound?

I don't know. You have to treat each game as an operating system. They all work differently, even when they appear to be the same.

In the case of DOOM, the game uses a PoPF instruction that normally does not work on a NT Operating System (this is why audio doesn't work on Windows NT 4 and 2000). For XP they implemented a "work-around" that allows it play with audio...poorly. If you run setup for DOOM and choose "No Sound FX" and "No Music", you would see that it runs smoothly.

As for "Witchaven", I have no idea. It uses the BUILD engine like Duke3D, but the setup program is completely different and Duke3D didn't have the keyboard problem.
Witchaven

And i didn't have any problems with the setup program?..

If you are still referring to Witchaven, then it is possible you have a re-release that was "fixed".

If so, try configuring it to it's lowest possible resolution, with no music or sound effects...Does it run properly?

Any ideas on how to slow pc? Airborne Ranger keeps speeding and quarantene also..

No good ideas, all the "slowdown" programs out there use a method that causes problems with general computer operation.

For Airborne Ranger, try DosBox. Be sure and read the README file that comes with it. You also might consider emulating the Commodore 64 or the Amiga versions. Much easier on the ears and eyes.

And anyone did manage to start Armored Fist over vdmsound?

System specifications for this say "386 DX-33 MHz or better", so it might also work in DosBox.

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr What do "mirc's\icq's\httpd\ftpd" have to do with not being able to run some DOS games?

I guess he doesn't want to reboot every time he wants to play a game.

Well then, I'm afraid I must now quote Mick Jagger..."You can't always get what you want..."

Reply 8 of 9, by The Doctor

User metadata

I did have problems running old games in XP such as Wolfenstien, Doom and Doom 2. To fix the problem I used Final Doom. On the cd it comes with the DOS version and the Windows 95 version (which runs perfectly fine on my XP machine). I then copied the DOOM.WAD file and the DOOM2.WAD file from the DOS installation into the Final Doom folder and ran them like that. Not only did they look twice as good, i got great sounds, and smooth gameplay.
Another reason I liked the Final Doom game is because I simply direct copied the installation files to my computer with no problems and can install off of them with no problems for my "backup" purposes 😉