VOGONS

Error with DOSDRV.EXE

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by lordwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can try the thread named "How to update VDMSound to it's latest components", and install everything (including update 1 and the latest VDMS Launchpad). The thread is sticky in this forum I think, you will find all the links and instructions you need.

enjoy 😀

--
LordWo

Reply 21 of 25, by Unregistered

User metadata

Right, I'd done that previously, but I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to verify anything else was working correctly. Now that I think about it, perhaps disabling the 8.3 file names could've been the cause of the problem. I loaded up Fate of Atlantis without any problems; now I'll go ahead and install the updates and whatnot.

Has anyone ever used Abandon Loader? It works in conjunction with VDMSound and I downloaded it when I was finding DOS stuff. Just wondering if anyone else had thoughts on it.

Cush

Reply 22 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Now that I think about it, perhaps disabling the 8.3 file names could've been the cause of the problem.

!!
Yes, I think that's probably related. It will probably cause any Win3.1 games to break as well (presuming they would work at all).

When it comes to old DOS/Windows titles, the "old rules" tend to come back with them.

Reply 24 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:

Has anyone ever used Abandon Loader? It works in conjunction with VDMSound and I downloaded it when I was finding DOS stuff. Just wondering if anyone else had thoughts on it.

It works well, when it works. It's good for people that don't want to spend time tweaking their settings, just 'set it and go'. For the most part though the VDMSLaunchpad does everything and then some, so Abandon Loader is a rather un-necessary extra.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 25 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Well, yes and no. 8.3 games tend to create 8.3 file names I would assume. The only problem I can foresee is installing something with a long file name and having it try to access the 8.3 counterpart of that long file name.

True. I think this is one of those cases where it's just better to "play it safe".