VOGONS

First post, by lordwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm, hello world !

I'm trying to make SEA LEGENDS (Ocean/Mir Dialogue) work under Windows 2000 SP3. (All my PC details that I know are entered in the profile..). The game is running under DOS4GW, well, it's the only sure thing I know about it.

(You can have some light version on Home of the Underdogs (~6mb) - I'll submit them the full game if they want it)

There are some problems with the game, solving some bringing new ones :
- The mouse is sticked in the upper part of the screen, but can go
far far right.

So I discovered this site, with Mouse2KV. I'm unable to really determine the resolution of the game, screensize seems to be between 225*225 (and it's still too large - I mean, the mouse is still getting far far left, and far far down). This is not especially a big problem, I can play with that. Another problem with mouse2kv is that the mouse-icon is displayed twice, but I assume that's coming from the game itself.

The big, big, BIG problem is that when mouse2KV is running, the sound gets really ... bad. Just some scritch-scritch are left, i have to turn the SoundFX off to save my ears... since sound is really important in the game (well, some informations are coming only with the sound) this is a ... BIG problem.

Does anyone have an idea about this ?

[Thanks for reading the whole text, kind of... large 😉]

--
LordWo

Reply 1 of 4, by lordwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm about the VDMS version i'm using, it's the one with all the updates I was able to grab on the forum, including the I-surely-should-not-have-taken-this unofficial patch 2 with the frontend beta 2 (strangely i didn't notified any change in it - where is the diskwriter module ? i must be blind or something..)

also note that I really said a stupid thing : the game is NOT using DOS4GW. (well, i discovered that when looking for dos4gw.exe in the game repertory...)

some useful (perhaps) information about the video driver: when loaded (but still in a command-line style) the screen is fading to black before the game init. [perhaps this is some special trick only made by some special drivers that you god of the dos do know - well, sounds stupid - but I had to say this..]

--
LordWo

Reply 2 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chances are the game's resolution is either 640x400 or 640x480 if it is anything. If it doesn't use DOS/4GW then it more than likely uses a different DOS extender. (Note however that DOS/4GW isn't always a separate EXE, sometimes it is integrated into the game's EXE.) It doesn't make much sense for Mouse2KV to create problems with audio. Can you try MOUSESET?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 4, by lordwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The one thing i'm SURE about : if I set up 200*200 screen size, this is too small (approximatively 1/5 too small from bottom and from right) but 225*225 is too large, and I can say how much is it.

Perhaps the extender is build in, in this case, perhaps do you know a way to know what expender is it ?

And perhaps that doesn't make much sense, but Mouse2KV IS making problems with audio. I think this is coming from the program itself - perhaps the value returned by the TSR are slightly different than expected, some buffer overflow or whatever... I tried to look in the sources of Mouse2KV - since I don't understand ASM too much, I don't know if it's needed to POP all the buffers - the rest of the code seems not related to Audio by any way.

I changed the IRQ of my SoundCard in VDMS to see, perhaps some material conflict, but that changed nothing.

For mousecom, I can try it, but will that program correct the mouse in the game ? (I have to hardreboot everytime the mouse is stuck like this, using ALT-TAB or something in the game is freezing the PC. The QUIT button works well - but if I cannot click it... well... there's only the power button left 😉

Thanks for answering anyway 😎

--
LordWo

Reply 4 of 4, by lordwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The approximative screen size of the game is 80*62. Hmm, I'm sure that it's not that small -- in truth, there ARE more pixels than that. But in order to make Mouse2KV take the exact screen size and not a lot more, this is kind of good. Note: 1px for Mouse2KV is slightly less than 0.8 milimeters on my 22'' screen. Well, vectrex used to have resolutions like this, but NOT dos (hmm... it's some kind of supposition, vectrex fanatics are welcome to correct the resolution of their beloved computer).

The mouse continue to be at two places at the sametime, and very, very unprecise. I'll try to tweak it in windows directly then i'll post another report... For the sound problem, finally, it doesn't seems that it's coming from the game. When i'm putting sound level to 1 (on a 10 basis) or to 0, the scritch-scritch stuff is playing at the same volume. I can hear some sounds in the noice, but they are REALLLY REALLLY REALLLY distorted ! perhaps some misconfiguration somewhere...

If somebody's have a guess of what's happenning to me ...

(the unsolvable cases are always for me. constant. damn, why I'm not authorized to play old games like everybody's doing ?? my g** WHY ?)

--
LordWo