VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I've just bought the DOTT and Sam and Max double CD, and have Windows XP with VDMSound.

The speech sounds find, but I can't get any music from DOTT, which is weird because I had downloaded the demo version prior to buying the CD and the music and sound worked fine..

Sam and Max won't even run at all when I select Run with VDMSound... it just crashes. 🙁

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Ben 😁

Reply 2 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are prior threads about this. You need to use the floppy version interpreter for DOTT to get music out of it. More information here.

As far as Sam'n'Max is concerned, I don't believe anyone has been able to get it running. You can always try the Quick and Easy program that's been talked about, but I'm not sure if it will yield playable results, if anything.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

Dott is indeed working fine with roland support. The only problem i'm experiencing (which doesn't occur with SoundFX 2000) is that the animations seem to hang at some points, like in the intro just before Purple gets his 'arms'. Also, the first scene in the game proper hangs just after Bernard is left alone by his companions (Laverne and ...). Hitting ESC will skip the animation and allow you to continue the game, but you will miss some great stuff (and some clues...).
OK, now to the point... I found that you can continue the animation by hitting the '>' key. Anyone else experience this? Might be something to look into.

Regards,

Jaysan

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

Dott is indeed working fine with roland support. The only problem i'm experiencing is that the animations seem to hang at some points,... I found that you can continue the animation by hitting the '>' key. Anyone else experience this?

Yes. It's known. IIRC, Vlad had already looked at it and found no solution. Have you tried ScummVM? It's listed as 95% compatible with DOTT, so there may still be a glitch here and there.

Reply 8 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unregistered wrote:
Dott is indeed working fine with roland support. The only problem i'm experiencing (which doesn't occur with SoundFX 2000) is th […]
Show full quote

Dott is indeed working fine with roland support. The only problem i'm experiencing (which doesn't occur with SoundFX 2000) is that the animations seem to hang at some points, like in the intro just before Purple gets his 'arms'. Also, the first scene in the game proper hangs just after Bernard is left alone by his companions (Laverne and ...). Hitting ESC will skip the animation and allow you to continue the game, but you will miss some great stuff (and some clues...).
OK, now to the point... I found that you can continue the animation by hitting the '>' key. Anyone else experience this? Might be something to look into.

Regards,

Jaysan

Happens with SoundFX2000 as well, don't worry. It's more of a windows problem. You can decrease its frequency by increasing the buffer to 64kB (max) in the DOSS setup (or via TENTACLE.EXE command-line options).

V.