VOGONS

windowed mode

Topic actions

First post, by protojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do you run VDM Sound in windowed mode? I can't record video's in fullscreen mode.

Reply 4 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, buy at least a 5yr old processor (that was high-end at the time) and it should be plenty fast.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, fraps can only record Opengl or Direct3d. Official DosBox only supports opengl not direct3d. If you want D3D you'll have to use gulikoza or yhkwong's builds of DosBox.

You also have to set DosBox to what output you want. So open dosbox.conf and change "output=surface" to "output=opengl"

Reply 9 of 26, by protojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

blood is the only game i use a dos emulator for as there are ports for all the other dos games I have. blood runs super slow with dosbox so it's pretty much useless. I've tried fraps recording opengl for the port for doom skulltag and gzdoom but there is no response.

Reply 12 of 26, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He means that you're not paying attention to either the input offered in the thread OR the documentation of DOSBox nor did you try and search for an answer...

DOSBox can record it's own output as lossless ZMBV encoded files.

Reply 13 of 26, by protojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am paying attention to what people are saying unless this is what you mean.

You did try to increase cycles, didn't you?

Yes I did increase the cycles. I've heard dos box requires alot of power.
I would have thought telling you the game is blood was enough as it's not supposed to run well on dosbox.

Well, buy at least a 5yr old processor (that was high-end at the time) and it should be plenty fast.

I don't see a reason why old games should require this power. 1 of the reasons why I like dos fps' is because they don't need a good computer.

VDM sound is perfectly good and i don't see a reason to upgrade just to use dosbox.

Also please understand that i might not understand everything and don't just assume i'm not listening or haven't read the documentation.

Reply 14 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DosBox is an emulator. Emulators require "alot" of CPU power. If at least an Athlon XP 2800+ qualifies as too much of a good computer for you then I recommend that you do not use DosBox for processor intensive games like Blood.

VDMSound is nowhere near perfect. It only emulates the sound and because of that your games have to rely on MS's NTVDM which is nowhere near the level of DosBox's compatibility.

VDMSound is dead. Has been dead. Will continue to be dead. Get a faster processor. Use DosBox. Be Happy.

Reply 17 of 26, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
protojo wrote:

Also please understand that i might not understand everything and don't just assume i'm not listening or haven't read the documentation.

We understand that but you must also understand that what you're asking of VDMSound and NTVDM is just not possible with FRAPS. That is, FRAPS can only record OpenGL or DirectX output. As NTVDM with VDMSound is neither FRAPS will not record your Blood session. Your only solution (aside from using a video camera and recording your game session) is run Blood in DOSBox and record it through that via the ZMBV codec. However, to acheive this smoothly you need a reasonably fast machine.

Reply 18 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> However, to acheive this smoothly you need a reasonably fast machine.

Wasn't it made in such way that you could set too high cycles while recording but the resulting video will be without lags?

1+1=10