windowed mode

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 26, by protojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dh4rm4 wrote:
protojo wrote:

Also please understand that i might not understand everything and don't just assume i'm not listening or haven't read the documentation.

We understand that but you must also understand that what you're asking of VDMSound and NTVDM is just not possible with FRAPS. That is, FRAPS can only record OpenGL or DirectX output. As NTVDM with VDMSound is neither FRAPS will not record your Blood session. Your only solution (aside from using a video camera and recording your game session) is run Blood in DOSBox and record it through that via the ZMBV codec. However, to acheive this smoothly you need a reasonably fast machine.

I don't really care about it anymore if I have to do it on dosbox and upgrade my pc. But I want to know why I can't get fraps working. Why wont the damn thing work!?

Reply 23 of 26, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
protojo wrote:

"I don't really care about it anymore if I have to do it on dosbox and upgrade my pc. But I want to know why I can't get fraps working. Why wont the damn thing work!?"

FRAPS has no concept of recording the NTVDM (S)VGA output since it is not routed to the screen via a defined graphics API. When data is written via the inherent indirection of an API, a trap/split is possible. The older DOS games wrote directly to a VGA frame-buffer, which means to trap screen output programmers had to write massive TSRs to even get SVGA screen captures via 'screen-scraping'. I am not aware of anyone that was able to trap continuous (S)VGA game audio/video directly in DOS. There would be too much CPU used in attempting to capture SVGA output on the single-threaded, non-reentrant Microsoft DOS to allow the subject game to play in real-time.

Now when you get to DOS emulators, it then becomes possible to trap the audio and video since the hardware interfaces seen by the DOS program are EMULATED and can be trapped/recorded.

If you are really set on capturing VGA output from either a DOS based PC or the Windows NTVDM, then you need something like this external VGA recording hardware device made by Epiphan to do the job. Otherwise borrow some time on a faster PC workstation and use the excellent recording facilities present in DosBox v0.70, available today for FREE. 😁

dvwjr

Reply 24 of 26, by protojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't understand much of that. But I'm not that bothered about recording dos anymore.
I can't get fraps to work at all. The main thing I record is doom via the port skulltag which has opengl. When I press the hotkey nothing happens. I've tried all the modes but I get nothing.