VOGONS

WinXP vs Win2k....Hmmm..

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 76, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The compatibility modes in 2K/XP are not really emulation. Sure one or two of the fixes do involve emulation but as a whole there are simply redirects not emulation.

Also XP's NTVDM Sound Emulation is not part of the compatibility modes. It's built into the NTVDM itself. Compatibility mode has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

As far as compatibility between XP Home & Pro. They are the same. EXACTLY. That's one of my gripes with XP in fact. MS made their "Pro" OS more "Home" than Pro which IMO, make XP Pro less "Pro" than 2K Pro. heh. In any case moving from XP Pro to XP Home will be a downgrade for you.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 42 of 76, by Clinton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosfreak,

Thanks for the clarity, I really appreciate it. So in short, you're saying that Xp Pro should actually offer me more than XP Home?

I also cannot believe that the two are different that much, except maybe for a slight difference in appearance.

Let me know your thoughts.

Snover,

I will give that suggestion a go, and see how it fares. Thanks.

Just one thing, In my device manager, my sound card properties says it is using IRQ19???

What the hell?? can this be correct?

Later.
Clint.

" BooyaKasha" - Ali G

Reply 43 of 76, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Clinton wrote:

So in short, you're saying that Xp Pro should actually offer me more than XP Home?

I also cannot believe that the two are different that much, except maybe for a slight difference in appearance.

Attachments

Reply 45 of 76, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes tht can be correct. The emulated SoundBlaster my VDMSound uses the standard IRQ's available in DOS 1,3,5,7.

The IRQ used by your REAL soundcard can use almost any IRQ since with ACPI the IRQ # doesn't really matter. With APM it does. Kinda complicated and probly moe than what you want to get into.

Reply 47 of 76, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes with APM it's 0-15. With ACPI it's any number really. This is why emulators use 0-15 since that is what DOS games were programmed for. I wonder if FreeDOS and other DOS ports will incorporate ACPI? That would be sweet!

Reply 48 of 76, by Clinton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that of APM there were only a few available IRQ's for use with different hardware.

How many IRQ's does ACPI have and how many available?

Does ACPI just make use of more bits than APM's 16bits to achieve many more Interrupts?

Shweet.
Clint.

" BooyaKasha" - Ali G

Reply 49 of 76, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

I wonder if FreeDOS and other DOS ports will incorporate ACPI? That would be sweet!

Maybe in the future:
http://www.topica.com/lists/fd-dev/read/messa … l?mid=900060848

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 50 of 76, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Clinton wrote:
I know that of APM there were only a few available IRQ's for use with different hardware. […]
Show full quote

I know that of APM there were only a few available IRQ's for use with different hardware.

How many IRQ's does ACPI have and how many available?

Does ACPI just make use of more bits than APM's 16bits to achieve many more Interrupts?

Shweet.
Clint.

/me calls for someone knowledgeable to explain the difference between ACPI, APIC, APM, PCI, and what they all have to do with assigning IRQ's.

I can't find a good website explaining it at the moment.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 53 of 76, by Clinton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't want to stray off the subject too much.

I found a site www.acpi.info.com. A bit technical but looked good.

anyway, I tried using different IRQ's to solve my Games issue, but Itdid not work. I should also report that Impulse tracker is running very slowly too now.

I was only able to choose from IRQ 5 & 7 in launchpad. But the problem still lies with XP and not VDMS. I am gonna try and look on the Microsoft website to see whats in there on this problem of crappy slow games and music in DOS.

Any other idea's??

" BooyaKasha" - Ali G

Reply 54 of 76, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you choose IRQ 5 when using VDMSound it *MAY* switch over to XP's emulated sound. Using IRQ 7 is the only way to know for sure. (Well you could get XP's emulated sound card to use IRQ 7 but you'd have to modify the CONFIG.NT)

As for why XP's emulated sound is worse than VDMSound's? It's Microsoft of course it's crappy. 😉

Reply 55 of 76, by Clinton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I am really freakin' confused..

I dunno if you guys now about these sega emulators (NES) etc,etc...

If I run the emulator these games work like a dream, smooth graphics, music sounds great ( Adventure Island, Circus Charlie ). Try DOS games, Impulse tracker, and they still up the duff (still not working).

Could this give you dudes some ideas perhaps??

" BooyaKasha" - Ali G

Reply 56 of 76, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Clinton wrote:

If I run the emulator these games work like a dream, smooth graphics, music sounds great...

Well this is why I'll play a port (a game translated/adjusted/re-written from scratch/whatever) if the PC version's too much trouble(or is poorer).

However, (presuming you're running these on your system on XP) it seems to point suspicions to a conflict between XP and VDMSound audio

None of those games are running in their "native environment". Presuming the emulators work properly (support all the native functions of the original console), they should play fine, regardless of the OS you're using.

When you try to run a PC game (even if it was originally for a 286 CGA PC), it will use your PC's native resources. major deviations in the hardware will cause compatibility issues. Emulated games don't care much about your PC's resources (that's handled by the Emulator) as all their hardware is emulated.

Unless the actual emulators are DOS programs, this is basically the same thing as running Windows games (which you said ran correctly).

I don't think this has been asked yet, (although we should have right at the beginning). have you tried running these DOS games on XP configured to run with NO SOUND (not even PC speaker)?

If not, then please try...

Reply 57 of 76, by Clinton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I have done so.

I have tried with a PC Speaker and with NO sound. I have not gone as far as physically removing the sound card from the machine, YET. It still has no effect, anyways.

All my windows games do run perfectly, these ROM emulators also run fine, as you said it is probably because it is not dos level emulation.

But in essence VDMS and a ROM Emulator should have something in common? ( correct me if I'm wrong )

If a ROM emulator can run without the problem I am having with XP/VDMS , then its doing something differently to distance itself from that "something" thats causing the slowdown.
( does that make any sense?)

Am I right in saying this or am I talking trash?

Please let me know.
Later.
Clint.

" BooyaKasha" - Ali G