VOGONS

Kings quest VI voice problem?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by foxsaber007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey guys, Im not really familiar with the VDM program, but maybe someone can help me out one way or another.

I have Kings Quest VI installed, and everything works great EXCEPT I cannot hear the voices in the game. Note that sound effects and music work fine, just not voices.

What should I do? Would installing VDM help?

Reply 5 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
foxsaber007 wrote:

and two other files only named RESOURCE, one thats icon is an envelope, and the other one has red, blue, yellow, and green squares in each corner.

All hail Bill - and his desire to hide everything useful.

Open the folder, choose the Tools menu => Folder options => Display options tab => and uncheck the "Hide extensions for know file types".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 19, by foxsaber007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, once I did that, I opened the RESOURCE.CFG file, and it made me choose to search it from the web or select a program on a list. I chose the web, and it referred me to DynSite. I downloaded it, but I'm not sure how to use it to my advantage to make it work since I'm a little bad on computers. Any advice on what I should do? Should I use DynSite or do something differently?

Reply 8 of 19, by foxsaber007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is exactly what it says when I opened it under notepad:
videoDrv = VGA320.DRV
soundDrv = MT32.DRV
audioDrv = AUDBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
kbdDrv = IBMKBD.DRV
mouseDrv = STDMOUSE.DRV
memoryDrv = ARM.DRV
minHunk = 207k
language = 1
cmd = kq6cd
sync = .\
audio = .\
audioSize = 8K
cd = YES
movieDir=D:\seq;.\

Reply 9 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You must have the RESOURCE.AUD file from the CD in the game's directory, or you must use the CD to play the game, with the RESOURCE.CFG pointing to the CD drive for the audio, i.e. audio = D:\

One other note, are you playing the Windows or the DOS version? It makes a difference as to which config file you need to use.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 19, by foxsaber007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I found the sub folder named WIN, and opened it up to find SIERRA.INI. I opened the file, and this is what it contained:
[info]
title = King's Quest VI
confirmdac = TRUE
confirmmidi = TRUE
cursorview = TRUE
minhunk = 204K
minhires = 375K
audioBuffs = 2

synthtype=basesynth
audpath=D:\
audio=D:\
sync=D:\
movieplayer=1

So, now what?

Reply 17 of 19, by foxsaber007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! I figured out the problem!

I installed and played this game under my Local C drive, without the voices.

So, reading this last helpful post, I tried using the D drive, where I re-installed the game and tried playing it, but since it didn't work in the D drive, I ran it in the C drive and it worked! I have my voices!

Thank you all so much for your help!

Reply 19 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TracerBullet wrote:

I downloaded a version online and cannot find the sierra.ini / sierra.win

The game cannot be legally downloaded. It currently on sale with the new KQ collection. Your illegal copy is probably the floppy version, which had no Windows version or speech. You won't find much help here with pirated games. For around $15 US you can not only have the high rez Windows version with speech, but you can get all 6 games. Buy the collection and if you still have problems, you can ask here or even on VU's official boards.