VOGONS

First post, by Ikrananka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tend to use VDMSound for most of my DOS games and it works very well. I have also checked out the DosBox website and the excellent status page which makes it very clear as to what DosBox can emulate well and therefore which games it is likely to run.

I'm also fairly sure that I read a thread elsewhere on these forums that said that DosBox would ultimately take over from VDMSound.

I'm curious to know what the road maps for these two pieces of software are. Is DosBox destined to become the definitive DOS emulation program supporting all known modes? Is VDMSound purely a DOS sound emulator and therefore DosBox will overtake it once it emulates the same sound hardware?

Just curious and wanting to learn.

Reply 1 of 13, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that is pretty much the idea, though it looks like it will take longer than expected for this takeover to occur (DosBox still doesn't support most protected-mode games, and still does not support SB16).
V.

Reply 3 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr (DosBox still doesn't support most protected-mode games, and still does not support SB16).

Not to mention that running an SVGA game that uses SB16 audio in something like DosBox would require an insane amount of resources whereas (presuming that it doesn't have NT-specific issues like BUILD games) it would be much easier to just run it with VDMSound. Even "Virtual PC" struggles at that level and they're "cheating" (some portions of the program "virtualize" instead of emulate).

Personally, I like having a collection of tools. If one doesn't work, try another...

Reply 4 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dosbox will be more for the real problem children where little hacks don't work anymore.

Another feature of dosbox is it cross platformness and it can run on any type of cpu.

This brings up the disadvantage: speed. emulating every takes a huge amount of resources.

So for windows games/new dosgames i think vdmsound will stay long the best option. Maybe oneday when the recompiling core is read dosbox might be as usefull as vdmsound is today.

Although many people will find too hard to use. (they are being lazy offcourse)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 13, by Reckless

User metadata

Just wanted to say that I've been an occassional user of VDMSound for 2 or 3 years now and it's always served me excellentely.

I only recently was informed about DosBox and whilst it seems like it has potential, I think it'll be a very long time coming to support the features/games that are not presently covered. I'm not trying to say it (DosBox) is no good at what it does - merely wanted to thank Vlad for some excellent work on VDMSound.

I dug out some old Sierra adventures (Freddy Pharkas CD) the other day, ran with VDMSound and it all works a dream (Win2K) 😁

Reply 7 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Freddy Pharkas CD... didn't people have issues with that title way back when the board was invoked? Or maybe that was just about experimenting with Windows interpreters...

I need some SamE.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Freddy Pharkas CD... didn't people have issues with that title way back when the board was invoked? Or maybe that was just about experimenting with Windows interpreters...

It was one of my experiments:
showthread.php?threadid=83&perpage=20&highlig … as&pagenumber=2

The DOS version (IIRC) is one of the few that seem to run properly in 2000/XP without patching/hacking/etc...

Reply 10 of 13, by Unregistered

User metadata

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut Not to mention that running an SVGA game that uses SB16 audio in something like DosBox would require an insane amount of resources

You mean like the kind that you'd need something like an Athlon XP 1800+ slightly overclocked with 1GB of DDRRAM for? And I'm pretty far behind...

Reply 11 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No you'd need something probably around a 4GHz Athlon XP or maybe a 3GHz Athlon 64. BEEFY. And, there's more than one speed for DDR SDRAM -- 2100, 2700, 3200, and I think one or two more above 3200.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless we can passthru to the Host OS for graphics...this would only be needed for the 1995+ DOS Games tho...and by the time DosBox supports DPMI fully the 3-4ghz computers should be able to provide at least playable 640X480 support even without a passthru.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Unless we can passthru to the Host OS for graphics...this would only be needed for the 1995+ DOS Games tho...

A good idea of what's possible right now would be to check with Mac people who are using VPC to emulate for gameplay reasons. The Mac version has to truly emulate instead of virtualize.