VOGONS

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats what 1942 PAW tells me when I try to run it with VDMS...
What can I do? Using VDMS 2.1 with XP
Thanks for suggestions

Reply 2 of 5, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

since when does that file have anything to do with vdm sound?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since when did conventional memory have anything to do with VDMSound?

VDMSound primarily emulates sound and secondly provides joystick/gamepad support. That's pretty much it. It lies on top of NTVDM which is what emulates MS-DOS and provides conventional memory.

DOSX.EXE is a protected mode stub that is needed for programs that require protected mode. It also eats up some the conventional memory. If your game isn't protected mode then you do not need DOSX.EXE and can safely remove it. (It's best to just use a seperate autoexec.nt using VDMSound's shortcut instead of modifying NT's).

I personally always just modified NT's autoexec.nt but for those who don't wish to do so VDMSound can easily use a seperate one.

You can also rem out cdrom support in autoexec.nt as well if your game does not need it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I did manage to get more ram free, but the game still gives the same error. Perhaps a bug.
Can't use Dosbox, cause the sound ist distorted. Read other reports of the same problem.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.