VOGONS

First post, by Shadow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The menu music sounds weird .

sounds like an evil alien screaming and getting itself out of a pod.

i use VDMsound.

Reply 2 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let's see, Zone66 uses a custom protected-memory-mode that is incompatible with any other memory protection, especially Windows.

VDMSound can ONLY be run within Windows. Ooh, a paradox.

Or as Nick Burns might say, "You ran Zone66 with VDMSound? Well, that's amazing considering it's impossible."

Reply 4 of 5, by Shadow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i did. so actually i'm able to run it even without VDMsound?

anyway, i got the music running but the shooting lasers and stuff are pc speaker generated.

only the main menu music screeches. (very slightly)

i'm on XP

the controls are quite laggy so i used speedset but i dont think it made any difference

Reply 5 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Shadow well i did. so actually i'm able to run it even without VDMsound?

Understand Shadow, what you're describing makes no sense at all. I've confirmed that it will run off of a bare-bones Win95B boot floppy.

anyway, i got the music running but the shooting lasers and stuff are pc speaker generated.

The parameters for Zone66 should be as follows:

ZONE66 /n (If you do NOT have a sound card installed in your PC)
ZONE66 /s (If you have a true Sound Blaster card)
ZONE66 /u (If you have a Gravis Ultrasound card)
ZONE66 /a (If you have an Adlib card)

So, it sounds like you're getting the AdLib mode (music by AdLib, sound effects by PC speaker). You can attempt to manually force Soundblaster mode by using the "/s" parameter.

The big thing of course, is your running this within XP without PC emulation. 1st, is your game the same as this one?

Secondly, there's always the possibility that someone managed to hack the executable to bypass its memory protection issues. Is there anything with the game that indicates that it was modified like this? They would almost certainly include some kind of ReadMe file.