VOGONS

First post, by Marticus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried several different ways to get Goblin's Quest 3 CD version to work properly (Under WinXP) and no luck so far.

Under a plain command prompt the speech is fragmented, the sfx corrupt, and doing any actions other than walking around (e.g. Pulling on a rope) make it lag like a very laggy thing.

Using VDMS 2.04 (update 2), the sfx work, but there is no speech, and the lag is present again.

With VirtualPC (with DOS 6.22) the sound works, but the game runs quite slow, it complains there is negative amount of RAM, and the aspect ratio is screwed up with garbage below the bottom of the game screen.

Also, it's a protected mode game, so it won't work in DOSBox.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 2 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Running with VDMSound - have you enabled low-level CD-ROM support, for the voices (I guess)?
V.

Snover wrote:

VDMSound problem. Moving to VDMSound > General

Reply 3 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All the Goblins games,"Lost in Time", and "WEEN: The Prophecy" use the same engine that "Hates NT". Getting it to run at all is an achievement.

Honestly, I would set it aside until DosBox has protected mode support.

Reply 4 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

AHHHH! This is hard.

Alright, I can get the sound to run PERFECTLY with vdm

BUT

It runns HELLA slow. I've been trying to find this mysterious "Speedset" program but I'll be damned if I can find it ANYWHERE online. PLEASE give me a link to give this program a try, or that "pit" something or other program.

I'm desperate, Please help!

Kyle

Reply 5 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Download/install VDMSound 2.1.0 beta, and you will have SpeedSet.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with the Coktel Vision CD games is that they do not like the NT version of MSCDEX.EXE -- "MSCDEXNT.EXE". Use SAPUCDEX. Go to the DOS Environment tab of your VDMS shortcut properties and add SAPUCDEX to the AUTOEXEC.BAT section. Also, uncheck the "Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX).