VOGONS

First post, by Ascendant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys!!

Currently, i'm running Windows XP Professional and I've tried to run Ultima 8 - Pagan under this OS smoothly and with music (and WORKING sound).
It didn't work.
After reading older posts about running U8 under XP/NT, I found out that nobody was able to configure their system in order to run it correctly.

Now my question is, whether Ultima 8 could run under Windows 98SE; I would like to install this OS in DUAL-Boot mode. But I don't want to make me all this work just to see that the game won't run!
Is there anybody who already tried it out? Does the game run smoothly? Does the music work? Does the sound work correctly?

My machine's specs:[list][*]ASUS A7V266-E, VIA KT266A
[*]AMD Athlon XP 1800+
[*]512MB SDRAM
[*]GeForce 3 Ti200 128MB DDRRAM
[*]CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device (onboard)
[*]Windows XP Professional SP1
[*]Ultima 8 - Pagan (windows version - see: Ron Windeyer's Web Page)[/list][/color]

Last edited by Ascendant on 2003-06-07, 22:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ascendant I've tried to run Ultima 8 - Pagan under this OS smoothly and with music (and WORKING sound). It didn't work.

Right. At present, only MIDI appears to work.

BTW, whatever he's doing to bypass the memory issue must be a little nasty. Get this error at the end of every game within XP:
Fatal error 286.3330: General protection fault detected.
PID=0001 TID=0001 SID=0001 ERRORCODE=0000
AX=00E0 BX=9A2E CX=07BF DX=9A33 SI=0000 DI=0150 BP=7D0A
CS:IP=00C7:2732 DS=07BF ES=0000 SS:SP=07C7:7D02 FLAGS=3006

At least waits until I quit...

Now my question is, whether Ultima 8 could run under Windows 98SE; I would like to install this OS in DUAL-Boot mode. But I don't want to make me all this work just to see that the game won't run!

I recommend it, preferably with a fresh install, but there is a work-around for an already-installed 2K/XP. There are still plenty of titles out there that won't run or won't run properly in 2K/XP.

Is there anybody who already tried it out?

*raises hand*

Does the game run smoothly?

Apparently so, walked around...saw an execution on the docks...had guards threaten me...etc...

Does the music work?

The FM/Adlib gave me nothing, but that might just be my card... MIDI seemed fine. I did hear some occasional distortion, but it was subtle enough that I wasn't sure at first that it wasn't part of the music.

Does the sound work correctly?

Using basic SoundBlaster option, it seemed fine.

My machine's specs:

*gasp* System specs?! What a grand idea! I wonder if supplying them will catch on?.....nah.

Reply 2 of 18, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There was a recent update to the U7 for Windows patch that allows U7 to run in XP... Dunno if this means that the U8 patch will be updated or not.

(Yes, U7 runs. At correct speed... BUt, since I have an nV card, the old Riva bug at the earthquake popped up. Haven't had a chance to test the Riva patch for U7 yet)

Time is a plaything,
But if it breaks,
You're f*****.

Reply 3 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by psz There was a recent update to the U7 for Windows patch that allows U7 to run in XP... Dunno if this means that the U8 patch will be updated or not.

What update is this? I can't find any info about it.

Reply 5 of 18, by Ascendant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a pity that there's not such a nice patch for Ultima 8! 😜

Anyways, thank you guys for your help. Well then, I'll install Win98 and have a look if it works... I'll post a new message when i've done that... Hopefully everything will work with the dual-boot... 😁

Reply 6 of 18, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Technically there IS a patch for U8 under 2K/XP, but digital sound (NOT MIDI) has issues. Hence why I think it's possible that the U8 patch may be updated since the U7 patch finally was.

Time is a plaything,
But if it breaks,
You're f*****.

Reply 7 of 18, by Unregistered

User metadata

The sound effects and voice are played as if u played a tape ina a slower pace.

Changing the buffer and the dma configurations had improved a little, but the sound gets desynchronysed from the game. I don´t know if that would help, but here is the log on sound effects:

@E - 00:15:56.495 - SBController
Attempted to write to an unknown mixer register (register = 0x83,
value = 0x0b)
@I - 00:15:56.497 - SBController
DSP reset - reinitializing DSP
@I - 00:15:56.504 - SBController
startTransfer: Starting DMA transfer (playback) on ch. 1
(single-cycle, 65536 samples/block): 8-bit mono 11111Hz, unsigned PCM
@I - 00:15:56.519 - SBWavePlayer
DirectSound primary buffer format is currently set to 44100Hz 16-bit
stereo
@I - 00:16:02.282 - SBController
HandleAfterTransfer: Interrupting (8-bit, x1) after 5778ms, 65536
bytes (terminal count)
@E - 00:16:26.871 - SBController
Attempted to write to an unknown mixer register (register = 0x83,
value = 0x0b)
@I - 00:16:26.872 - SBController
DSP reset - reinitializing DSP
@I - 00:16:26.879 - SBController
@I - 00:16:26.893 - SBWavePlayer
DirectSound primary buffer format is currently set to 44100Hz 16-bit
stereo
@I - 00:16:32.641 - SBController
HandleAfterTransfer: Interrupting (8-bit, x1) after 5762ms, 65536
bytes (terminal count)
@I - 00:16:32.642 - SBController
IRQ acknowledged (8-bit)
@I - 00:16:32.642 - SBController
@I - 00:16:38.592 - SBController
HandleAfterTransfer: Interrupting (8-bit, x1) after 5950ms, 65536
bytes (terminal count)
@I - 00:16:38.592 - SBController
IRQ acknowledged (8-bit)
@I - 00:16:38.593 - SBController
@I - 00:16:44.526 - SBController
HandleAfterTransfer: Interrupting (8-bit, x1) after 5933ms, 65536
bytes (terminal count)
@I - 00:16:44.526 - SBController
IRQ acknowledged (8-bit)
@I - 00:16:44.527 - SBController
@I - 00:16:50.492 - SBController
HandleAfterTransfer: Interrupting (8-bit, x1) after 5965ms, 65536
bytes (terminal count)
@I - 00:16:50.492 - SBController
IRQ acknowledged (8-bit)
@I - 00:16:50.493 - SBController

Reply 8 of 18, by Ascendant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a little bit disappointed now. I did install Win98SE. And what happened? Nothing! Ultima 8 did not start.
Just gave this error message:

Abnormal program termination.
Rest, Avatar. You will need it.

After installing the patch 2.12, I got the same message. I've also tried to disable the sound and music card options with the install.exe, but it didn't solve the problem.
So I had to install the Windows Patch. Then Ultima 8 did start. But when trying to start it a second time, it seems that it tries to perform the "firstrun shape-extraction" again and gives the following error message:

Decompressing the shapes file.
This only happens once and takes about 10 minutes.
Do not interrupt this process or you will have to re-install.

An incomplete installation has been detected. Please re-install.

Rest, Avatar...you will need it!

This is not such a big problem, because I made a copy of the original U8-folder. Now I could update the game as needed, make a copy and start the game. I would then overwrite the files with the copied ones when I want to start the game again.
But I wonder how the music could work. I tried several configurations with the install.exe now, but nothing did work. No sound, no music.

😕 Any ideas? 😕

Reply 9 of 18, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Without the U8Windows patch (Do a search... It's been mentioned before) you CANNOT RUN U8 IN WINDOWS.

In Win98, however, you CAN run it in Dos Mode.

Time is a plaything,
But if it breaks,
You're f*****.

Reply 10 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by psz It was posted on the rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons newsgroup:

Ok. Tested sound and music seem fine. And the earthquake is no longer an 8-minute experience.

Originally posted by Ascendant I'm a little bit disappointed now. I did install Win98SE. And what happened? Nothing! Ultima 8 di […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Ascendant I'm a little bit disappointed now. I did install Win98SE. And what happened? Nothing! Ultima 8 did not start.
Just gave this error message:

Abnormal program termination.
Rest, Avatar. You will need it.

After installing the patch 2.12, I got the same message. I've also tried to disable the sound and music card options with the install.exe, but it didn't solve the problem.
So I had to install the Windows Patch.

Question. Why did you expect it to run without the Windows patch?

Then Ultima 8 did start. But when trying to start it a second time, it seems that it tries to perform the "firstrun shape-extrac […]
Show full quote

Then Ultima 8 did start. But when trying to start it a second time, it seems that it tries to perform the "firstrun shape-extraction" again and gives the following error message:

Decompressing the shapes file.
This only happens once and takes about 10 minutes.
Do not interrupt this process or you will have to re-install.
I tried several configurations with the install.exe now, but nothing did work. No sound, no music.

😕 Any ideas? :

Never saw that as mine doesn't "decompress". It sounds to me like your version hasn't really updated, but the only people who could be sure would be other people who have the older version of U8 (I don't). Is this a floppy version?

Go ahead and configure sound to use "no sound card" and "no music". There's no point in attempting audio configuration unless you can get the program to run properly in the first place (without sound).

Reply 11 of 18, by Unregistered

User metadata

It works flawlessly for me in Win98SE. The thing about that though, is that I designed that 98 box to play DOS games, and old Glide games. It has a non-PnP SB16 with WaveBlaster card. This card is not necessarily an option for most people with modern systems. I used the U8w9x patch from http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/U8inWindows.html

This is all I needed. I am using the CD version, (I have both the original CD version, and the Ultima Collection disc, both work.) The floppy version is in fact the one that has to decompress files. I remember that from when I used to have it. (It took forever.)

I can use FM, General MIDI, and I have digital sound. This means that you don't have to worry about Win9x causing sound issues for you. It should be entirely up to how compatible your chip is. I don't remember if those CMI chips have SB compatible modes or not. You should at least get General MIDI music. But the game isn't the same without Sound FX.

The coolest thing to do is to build a cheap (or free in some cases,) PC to play old games on, and get a cheap 2 port KVM. Mine plays absolutely everything old and good. 😀 Here are specs that are guaranteed to work well. (At least they do for me.)

Motherboard: ASUS P3B-F (Nice,fast, and stable board with ISA slots.)
CPU: Intel P2-400 (Runs anything into the early-mid Glide era.)
RAM: 256MB PC100 (Overkill for anything old.)
HDD: 40GB Seagate Barracuda 4 (Enough space for all of my DOS games and old Win9x games.)
Video: 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 (Fast 2D, works well in DOS, plays all my Glide games quickly.)
Sound: Non PnP Creative Labs SB16 ASP with Waveblaster upgrade. (Works with everything period. FM, PCM, and GM.)
Network: 3Com 3C905 (Works in DOS, and is perfect in 98 to transfer games from my main box.)
Controller: Old Interact 6 button gamepad.

I have an shortcut in Windows98 that drops to DOS mode with an old-style DOS Boot Menu. I have choices for XMS, EMS, NOEMS, with and without CD drivers. There isn't an old game I can't play within seconds on this config.

I know this isn't exactly the focus of this board, but since it costs almost nothing, I think it's a viable option for everyone in here who loves these old games.

Reply 12 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I don't remember if those CMI chips have SB compatible modes or not.

They do, but like most others nowadays...it's compatibility rate is kind of poor.

I know this isn't exactly the focus of this board, but since it costs almost nothing, I think it's a viable option for everyone in here who loves these old games.

True, I have a "test rig" with a Abit BH6 motherboard + 566 Celeron + Lightspeed 128 Video (Tseng) in tandem with a Voodoo 1 card + ISA SoundBlaster AWE64. Use it for "maximum compatibility" and to double-check what older titles were "supposed to look like".

It's good to have, but the day will come when it dies and I'm hoping that, by that time, I've found solutions for all the titles that need it...

Reply 13 of 18, by Unregistered

User metadata

Another cool thing would be to have a PC on a PCI card. They are available, but I doubt there are any with an SB16 or compatible on board. I don't know how they pass their video through or anything like that either. If I ever find something suitable, or any of my qualified friends find the time to make one, then I'll post on here.

Reply 14 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Another cool thing would be to have a PC on a PCI card.

Used to have them for Macs and Amiga's, not much value for the money though...

I don't know how they pass their video through or anything like that either.

That's why software emulation is the more likely candidate.

If I ever find something suitable, or any of my qualified friends find the time to make one, then I'll post on here.

If you do, try to make it in the PC emulation forum or in Milliways...we're reserving this forum for VDMSound.

Reply 15 of 18, by valakivi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im also trying to make this game work properly on XP, but i cant, this web helped me a lot http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/
I can run the game from u8w patch but without any music or sound, or with another VDMSound patch with only music and almost everytime the game crashes with a black screen.
Any ideas?

Reply 16 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by valakivi I can run the game from u8w patch but without any music or sound, or with another VDMSound patch with only music and almost everytime the game crashes with a black screen.
Any ideas?

Don't enable digital audio. Only MIDI works properly right now. Unless/Until the programmer comes out with a new version of this hack, don't expect that to change. Digital audio doesn't work in 2000/XP.

Reply 18 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by valakivi what about the game crashes?

Do you have specific locations/situations where it happens consistently? If not, you can chalk it up to instability coming from game's original bugs and/or running it on an OS that it was never designed for...

XCOM people are presently in a similar situation.