VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

'ello.
I do not know if VDMSound can do this, since I had to pack my joystick away and I'm in the middle of moving stuff, however is it possible to allow DOS games to use a USB joystick through DirectInput? Its' impossible get get a hold of a decent working analog joystick here and only usb models are being sold in the stores.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Reply 1 of 3, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VDMSound will emulate joysticks, so USB is not a problem. Remember, however, the issues of usb vs. gameport and analog vs digital are two different issues. USB joysticks can be digital or analog, digital joysticks can be gameport or usb, and gameport joysticks can be digital or analog. I'm not aware of anything that can turn a digital gamepad into an emulated analog joystick. AFAIK, that couldn't be done even during the old DOS days, although some games accept analog and digital input. Also, some old DOS games have screwy joystick drivers (e.g., Mortal Kombat 2), and do not handle VDMS's joystick emulation well. With most games and joysticks, including USB joysticks, however, VDMS's joystick emulation works quite well.

Reply 2 of 3, by Unregistered

User metadata

I downloaded & installed VDMSound hoping that it would let me use my digital joystick in X-Wing but it doesn't seem to be helping. Nobody knows of a workaround for that? 8/

Edit: Never mind! here's the trick....
Start -> Run -> CMD
(edit your directories as necessary, obviously.)
d:
cd vdms
dosdrv
cd ..
cd games
cd x-wing
xwing

Should work!! 😁

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-07-19, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I downloaded & installed VDMSound hoping that it would let me use my digital joystick in X-Wing but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Eh? What does this mean? It still claims you don't have a joystick? BTW, this is the DOS version of X-Wing, right?

Edit: Never mind! here's the trick.... Start -> Run -> CMD (edit your directories as necessary, obviously.) d: cd vdms dosdrv cd […]
Show full quote

Edit: Never mind! here's the trick....
Start -> Run -> CMD
(edit your directories as necessary, obviously.)
d:
cd vdms
dosdrv
cd ..
cd games
cd x-wing
xwing

Again, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Is it possible that you've just disabled "Joystick emulation" on the game's VLP shortcut?