VOGONS

First post, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, ya ive got CF1 to work but not 2... well, in some parts its normal speed, and other parts its very slow... any way around this?

Also, is there like a Sound Blaster Emulator? Cuz CF dont see a SB card in the system... same with OMF:2097. I can play omf, but with PC-speaker sound 🤣

Reply 1 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Romen Hm, ya ive got CF1 to work but not 2... well, in some parts its normal speed, and other parts its very slow... any way around this?

Probably not. That's behavior indicative of "Hates NT" games. You might be able to run it with DosBox now that it has CD-ROM support. Be SURE and read the README that comes with it. It apparently doesn't use "protected memory" so it should work...

Also, is there like a Sound Blaster Emulator?

What, exactly do you think VDMSound is?

Cuz CF dont see a SB card in the system... same with OMF:2097.

Save yourself some grief. "Autodetect" DOS programs are anything but flawless. Use them, but don't trust them. If it doesn't detect a sound card, just set it up manually using VDMSound's standard settings.

Reply 2 of 15, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oopps, i feel like dumb.. Why did I ask about the sound blaster thing 🤣...

I think i asked because i set up the sound blaster in CF1, but it comes up when you start the game that it couldnt find a SB card.

With OMF, the lightning from the first part/intro it goes all crackley and just like goes in to an infinite loop...

Reply 3 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Romen With OMF, the lightning from the first part/intro it goes all crackley and just like goes in to an infinite loop...

*shakes head* Bad news:
showthread.php?threadid=1528&highlight=OMF2097

showthread.php?threadid=1359&highlight=2097

showthread.php?threadid=1796&highlight=OMF2097

Reply 4 of 15, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no!! Its not possible! OMF rocks too much!

I demand you make it work, now! =p

seriously though, ill tyr a few more settings, but as it stands, is there a chance of there been a fix made with Epic games and VDMSound? =/

Reply 6 of 15, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, i got cannon fodder 1 to work well with DoSBox, including all sounds, but Cannon fodder 2 is still a no go.

Cant use OMF in Dosbox because it runs in protected mode.. =( anymore suggestions?

Reply 7 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As I stated OMF will run in next version of dosbox:)
So either compile the cvs sources or wait a while till it gets released.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix works in next version of dosbox as well.

Qbix, Don't tease.

Originally posted by Romen But i want it now!!!!!

Well....that makes a difference...actually..it makes no difference. Everyone wants their favorite to run perfectly, now. Sometimes it's just not going to be that way.

Having said that, if you promise not to go to the DosBox people about it. The "DynaRec" version that has been compiled here, will run OMF.

Be warned, it needs plenty of resources, and even using the most minimal SoundBlaster settings, it's slow. I don't expect to see OMF running quickly on DosBox for quite some time. Oh, and don't hassle the DosBox people about this version, it not theirs'.

Reply 10 of 15, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply...

Just to make sure, i was joking with my last reply, i dont wanna seem like an ass... or am i too late? 😀

Ill give it a go...

added:
I just gave it a go and IT WORKS! I dont have a speed problem either! Full proper stereo! Though, the thing was to get the CPU cycles right, you cant have to much or too little 🤣.

my machine is:
athlonXP 2400+ @ 2.4ghz (overclocked 😉
768mb pc2700 ddr RAM

the altered dos box is running 40% of the CPU or so... and 27.3mb of memory.

Reply 12 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Romen Just to make sure, i was joking with my last reply, i dont wanna seem like an ass... or am i too late?

It's not a problem, just know that your favorite is in competition with everyone else's favorite.

I just gave it a go and IT WORKS! I dont have a speed problem either! Full proper stereo! my machine is: athlonXP 2400+ @ 2.4gh […]
Show full quote

I just gave it a go and IT WORKS! I dont have a speed problem either! Full proper stereo!
my machine is:
athlonXP 2400+ @ 2.4ghz (overclocked 😉
768mb pc2700 ddr RAM

Well, no wonder it wasn't slow for you, *heh*. Rather slow on my 1.7 Celeron. Note that the "Dynamic Recompiling" feature will not be in the next release of DosBox (if ever). So the next version of DosBox will probably run it, but slowly.

Though, the thing was to get the CPU cycles right, you cant have to much or too little 🤣.

Exactly. Too few cycles makes it run like a 286, too many cycles eats up too much of your processor power making it slow again.

Originally posted by Romen Cannon Fodder 2 is still a no-go though.. as in, no sound and that one is slow...

Until DosBox can emulate it, I can only recommend emulating the Amiga version instead.

Reply 13 of 15, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, why are some games so hard to emulate? I know very little about programming, so there is probably where my problem lyes in not been able to work this out for myself.

I wonder why some games accept the emulated version of hardware easy and others put up a fight? It almost seems that the companies did things like this to stop it from been emulated at a later date. (i said ALMOST seems 😀)

The ironic thing about these games is the fact you need a really fast computer to run a game designed for the 286/386 😉

Reply 14 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Romen So, why are some games so hard to emulate? I know very little about programming, so there is probably where my problem lyes in not been able to work this out for myself.

You're asking a machine to impersonate another machine, usually without giving it any more hardware to do the job. On top of this, unlike a game console, a computer usually has a large number of variables. For example, PC's have used CGA, EGA, MCGA, and VGA video displays. To properly emulate video, you have to take all of those into consideration. That, of course, presumes you're not supporting VESA video and the numerous SVGA formats. Add in all the various soundcards, memory types, etc... You end up with thousands of variables that console emulators don't have to mess with...

I wonder why some games accept the emulated version of hardware easy and others put up a fight?

I think it's related to the way they were coded. Those that "followed" the rules tend to behave better. Those that too programming "shortcuts", tend to break.

Reply 15 of 15, by Romen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, hows this... Presumed someone worked on a old PC emulator as a proper job-style. (as in 6 hours a day, 5 days a week til its completed) How long, guessing, would it take to have it been able to play any game that was available for Dos? Well, basically any game cuz you will still have some picky games i bet which ONLY will work with such-and-such a brand of video/sound card 😀

Its a pitty them epic games from 1993/4 dont work... =( Epic, IMO, use to make some of the best games available...