VOGONS

First post, by w@velength

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Windows XP on a Pentium 4 and have been trying to run Blood. As is usually the case with older games on XP, sound is the biggest problem.

I was given a lead to come here, and I downloaded the VDMSound-2.0.4-WinNT-i386 installer package and when I double click on it I get:

"The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package."

So I downloaded an older version, 2.0.3a or something, which installed fine. I read the instructions, and right-clicked on BLOOD.EXE and chose "run with VDMS..." The dos window goes full screen, and then I get:

"DPMI_mapPhysicalToLinear() Failed! Press any key to continue..."

Any advice?

Reply 1 of 5, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Download 2.0.4 again (must have been corrupted during your first download).

Then search for NOLFB on this site, it should get rid of the memory mapping error.

Cheers,
V.

Reply 2 of 5, by w@velength

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I redownloaded the latest version, it worked this time. I downloaded Update2 and the "launcher" GUI, all installed nicely. Added a few bells and whistles, but still, nothing.

I still get a blank, black DOS window or a "playback failed due to conflicting IRQ" or something.

I've tried changing the chosen sound card in Blood Setup, changing compatibility, checking and unchecking boxes, still, nothing. This is getting depressing. :[

You asked me to download "NOLF", what is that?

Reply 3 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by w@velength I still get a blank, black DOS window or a "playback failed due to conflicting IRQ" or something.

You MUST run setup and change it's IRQ and DMA audio settings to match those of VDMSound. This is true of 90% of all DOS games. A rare few will auto-configure themselves (like the CHAMP series of games).

I've tried changing the chosen sound card in Blood Setup, changing compatibility, checking and unchecking boxes, still, nothing. This is getting depressing.

It gets worse. Even when you follow the guide for BUILD games (BLOOD is a BUILD game, like DukeNukem3D) found in the Problem Children thread, it will still perform terrible in comparison to it's performance in Win9x. It's not a VDMSound issue, it's the way the BUILD engine was coded that's the problem.

Reply 4 of 5, by w@velength

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I got Blood working. But I didn't even use VDM. I got that "NOLFB" utility off of Ken Silverman, unzipped it to my Blood folder, and followed his instructions.

Start > Run > cmd.exe > CD\Blood > NOLFB > Blood

And it ran. I tinkered around with setup and set sound fx to Sound Blaster or Compatible, interupt 5, DMA's 1 and 5. Set music to General Midi.

So yeah, it runs, just really slow and choppy, as is expected when running old games on XP, I suppose. I still can't make VDM work, though. The older version gives me a "DPMI mapping error" or something, which I am told is something to do with memory, of which I increased in all departments, still to no avail. The newest version of VDM just gives me an inactive DOS window. But oh well. I'll just have to try running Blood on our older machine with 98. I just don't want to have to download it twice.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply 5 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by w@velength Okay, I got Blood working. But I didn't even use VDM.

Then you're using XP's native SB emulation. Yes it works, but as you will discover, it's even worse than running with VDMSound.

I got that "NOLFB" utility off of Ken Silverman, unzipped it to my Blood folder, and followed his instructions.

Just remember, it's only needed for VESA displays for certain programs. If you were to drop to 320x200 resolution, you wouldn't need it. Just a FYI.

So yeah, it runs, just really slow and choppy, as is expected when running old games on XP, I suppose.

Actually, some DOS programs work just fine, if not better, within XP. It all depends on how the program was originally coded.

I still can't make VDM work, though. The older version gives me a "DPMI mapping error" or something,

I don't believe this to be an actual VDMSound error. Odds are, it's a setting mis-match. Having said that, there is a GUI Launchpad bug for BUILD games that requires the "Brute Force" work-around that I described in the "Problem Children" thread.

The newest version of VDM just gives me an inactive DOS window.

Try downloading Ms.PacEm from here. Unlike most other DOS games, it requires no setting for IRQ or DMA. It will automatically try to match itself to whatever soundcard (emulated or real) you have. It should play a small bit of music at the start of the game and digital sound effects within the game.

I'll just have to try running Blood on our older machine with 98.

You can run it on XP, it's just that it's performance will be poor in comparison to Win98.