VOGONS

First post, by maverick1194

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having a problem installing VDMSound 2.1.0 (thats the version my download file says).

I installed it from sourceforge (several times), unzip it, and double click the icon to start installation. I get the installation files unpacking and it always always always gives me an error about 2/3 of the way thru: Error opening file for writing: "C:\Program Files\VDMSound\LaunchPad.dll"

and without further explanation I am asked to abort, retry (which only repeats the little error window) or ignore. When I ignore the installation finishes but I get no computer restart prompt, as the 'vdmsound for beginners' post here mentions, just a prompt asking if I want to view the readme file (which also contains no info about this, though I have not read it thoroughly). I find no way to access VDMSound on my system- nothing on the desktop or on my start menu.

I have tried redownloading it and reinstalling it several times - and selecting all the components to install, and even installing dosbox first (FYI I am trying to play Master Of Orion 1, and got it working without any dosbox). This is really frustrating especially that I found so little on the web regarding this issue. What am I doing wrong? My OS is windows XP (SP2) and I am making sure my antivirus (mcaffee) and antispyware (webroot spysweeper) are off/disabled when I try to install.

Help me please~

Reply 2 of 5, by maverick1194

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know how to set up Dosbox but I tried it and its performance seems far from optimal. It was extremely slow. The game (master of orion 1) worked fine without it and I really would like to get vdmsound working and it puzzles me why it isn't installing properly. I'd like to solve this puzzle.

Reply 4 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once you learn how to use DOSBox it is extremely easy to use. VDMS relies on the grossly imperfect NTVDM. You will be subject to incompatibilities and speed issues, many of which are insurmountable. They are not telling you to use DOSBox because they don't want to help you, but because it is simply, by far, your best option. Remember, everything worthwhile has a learning curve.