VOGONS

1830/Master of Magic & nforce MB's

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by khill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding the information in this thread:

showthread.php?threadid=1860

I'm in the same boat. I had 1830 and Master of Magic working pretty well - 1830 esp. just rocked with VDMSound. Then, I upgraded my MB to an nforce board. Now, like the poster in the referenced thread above, I can't seem to get any EMS.

1830 returns the message:

"You must have at least 2700K of expanded memory."

System details:

MB = Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Chip = AMD 2500+ (not overclocked)
RAM = 512MB
Video = PNY Nvdia Ge4 Ti4200 w/128MB
Sound = Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
OS = Windows XP SP1

Output of MEM from VDMSound:

Conventional Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
MSDOS 12256 ( 12.0K) 2FE0
KBD 3296 ( 3.2K) CE0
HIMEM 1248 ( 1.2K) 4E0
COMMAND 3888 ( 3.8K) F30
DOSX 34720 ( 33.9K) 87A0
KB16 6096 ( 6.0K) 17D0
FREE 112 ( 0.1K) 70
FREE 720 ( 0.7K) 2D0
FREE 592768 (578.9K) 90B80

Total FREE : 593600 (579.7K)

Upper Memory :

Name Size in Decimal Size in Hex
------------- --------------------- -------------
SYSTEM 221168 (216.0K) 35FF0
MOUSE 12528 ( 12.2K) 30F0
FREE 28384 ( 27.7K) 6EE0

Total FREE : 28384 ( 27.7K)

Total bytes available to programs (Conventional+Upper) : 621984 (607.4K)
Largest executable program size : 591840 (578.0K)
Largest available upper memory block : 28384 ( 27.7K)

8388608 bytes total contiguous extended memory
0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
4045824 bytes available XMS memory
MS-DOS resident in High Memory Area

So, what can I do to my MB to get it to make EMS available?

Yes, I've tried dosbox and it works OK. The problem with dosbox is that it doesn't seem to use the software MIDI emulation not the very nice Santa Cruz MIDI (and daughterboard.) Maybe I'm not using dosbox correctly but the docs on dosbox aren't exactly explicit on how it uses MIDI.

Thanks, Ken

Reply 1 of 16, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
khill0 wrote:

So, what can I do to my MB to get it to make EMS available?

Ken, it seems that your motherboard and its built-in devices are using a lot of upper memory areas, leaving less than 64kB for an EMS page frame or UMBs. This problem seems to be rather common with some nVidia and ASUS motherboards, and has been discussed in some other threads (like this: showthread.php?s=&threadid=1916)

The only way to make some memory available for the EMS frame is to stop some device from using upper memory areas. The usual target for this is USB keyboard support. If you don't have an USB keyboard, chances are you can disable support for it in your BIOS and regain the memory area reserved for USB support during boot time. Other options include disabling support for RAID controllers, or some other built-in devices you do not use.

Before you start looking at your BIOS setup screens, can you tell us what kind of keyboard do you have? I dont't want to give specific instructions about changing your CMOS setup before knowing a little more about your configuration.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 16, by khill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply, Major.

I have a standard, non-USB keyboard. However, I am reasonably certain that I have already disabled USB keyboard support in the BIOS. I will double check.

I don't use the RAID features of the controller on the MB either so I wouldn't mind disabling that if I could figure out how!

Ken

Reply 3 of 16, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
khill0 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Major. […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the reply, Major.

I have a standard, non-USB keyboard. However, I am reasonably certain that I have already disabled USB keyboard support in the BIOS. I will double check.

I don't use the RAID features of the controller on the MB either so I wouldn't mind disabling that if I could figure out how!

Ken

According to your motherboard manual, you can check the USB support settings in the Advanced settings page, under Integrated Peripherals. Make sure you disable "USB Legacy Support" and "USB Mouse Support".

The RAID settings are controlled by a different setup program. In the manual, the instructions say that you can press Ctrl-S or F4 during POST to get the RAID setup screen, but I couldn't find any option to disable it. Since the RAID functions work only on Serial ATA disks, you could check if the motherboard came if any other manual and/or CD that has more information on this.

Finally, a long shot would be disabling other peripherals like network interfaces (LAN ports) and 1394 ports, but these are less likely to reserve memory space for BIOS at boot time.

Regards

Major Grubert

Reply 4 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by khill0 1830/Master of Magic

Don't forget that "Master of Magic" has the digital audio problem when you're running it on an NT OS:
showthread.php?threadid=113&highlight=Master+Magic
showthread.php?threadid=1094&highlight=Master+Magic
showthread.php?threadid=1766&highlight=Master+Magic

It's best to use DosBox for MoM. Don't forget to read the README that comes with it.

I don't know about 1830, but if it doesn't need "protected mode" then try that with DosBox as well.

Reply 5 of 16, by khill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MajorGrubert wrote:
According to your motherboard manual, you can check the USB support settings in the Advanced settings page, under Integrated Per […]
Show full quote

According to your motherboard manual, you can check the USB support settings in the Advanced settings page, under Integrated Peripherals. Make sure you disable "USB Legacy Support" and "USB Mouse Support".

The RAID settings are controlled by a different setup program. In the manual, the instructions say that you can press Ctrl-S or F4 during POST to get the RAID setup screen, but I couldn't find any option to disable it. Since the RAID functions work only on Serial ATA disks, you could check if the motherboard came if any other manual and/or CD that has more information on this.

Finally, a long shot would be disabling other peripherals like network interfaces (LAN ports) and 1394 ports, but these are less likely to reserve memory space for BIOS at boot time.

Regards

Its been a while since I've looked at this but I got the urge to work on it again. I figured out how to disable the RAID - there is a jumper on the MB that disabled SATA. I also disabled the 1394 support. Still no EMS.

Any other suggestions? Maybe some new information has become available in the last five months? <g> Thanks,

Ken

Reply 7 of 16, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
khill0 wrote:

Its been a while since I've looked at this but I got the urge to work on it again. I figured out how to disable the RAID - there is a jumper on the MB that disabled SATA. I also disabled the 1394 support. Still no EMS.

Any other suggestions? Maybe some new information has become available in the last five months?

Ken, I believe you should try to run these games under DOSBox. The most important change in the last few months is the fact that DOSBox 0.60 supports several games that require protected mode, so you might get lucky with MoM and 1830. There are also some new forums here at VOGONS where you can get help on DOSBox.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Reply 8 of 16, by khill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MajorGrubert wrote:

Ken, I believe you should try to run these games under DOSBox. The most important change in the last few months is the fact that DOSBox 0.60 supports several games that require protected mode, so you might get lucky with MoM and 1830. There are also some new forums here at VOGONS where you can get help on DOSBox.

Regards,

Major, I have tried to run 1830 under DOSBox. It worked OK under .58 but it locks up on me in .60. I guess I will go over to the DOSBox forum and ask about it over there.

I'm just disappointed that I can't get this to work on my new machine. I can still run 1830 very nicely on my daughter's machine (which has a less advanced MB - an ECS K7S5A Pro.)

Thanks again for your help.

Ken

Reply 11 of 16, by greg_boz

User metadata

Has DOSBox 0.61 fixed this problem?

I'm trying like crazy to get MOM running with sound on my a7n8x, but no luck. 🙁

I've tried just about every config on these forums for DOSBox 0.61 and VDMS. One post suggested running VDMS from _within_ dosbox, but there's no way to execute VDMS shortcuts in DOS, is there?

Specs:
XP Pro
ASUS a7n8x
SB Audigy 2