VOGONS

Loom CD Talking Version

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 28, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be that you needed to mount it a different way in DOSBox. It could also be that a part of it is corrupt that isn't used by SCUMMVM, or that SCUMMVM is able to deal with it better.

Reply 22 of 28, by J.B.

User metadata

I just tried every way I could imagine to mount the image, same problem every time.
I think scummvm uses sdl to access the disc. I think you can make dosbox use sdl to access the disc by using:
"mount" and "-t cdrom -usecd 3"

This gives me the message "you need the loom talkie cd to play the game".

Any more ideas?

Reply 23 of 28, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is 3 the correct number to use for your system? I'd be surprised if you actually had 4 CD drives.

Also, what do you see when you mount the CD in DOSBox and then do a dir of it?

Reply 25 of 28, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had problems with the LOOM CD as well, until I ripped the CD audio track to the hard drive and compressed it to an OGG. You can copy the data files to a folder on your HDD, drop in the OGG. It will play in ScummVM, flawlessly.

Reply 26 of 28, by crustcyb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´m having the same problems as Cush (only the first note of the draft playing. Everything else on the staff lights up and the draft works, but the sound doesn't work after the first note), only that I´m using DOSBox... I don´t want to use SCUMMVM, so please just reply if anyone know how to solve the problem in DOSBox... please don´t post "just use SCUMMVM"...

Reply 27 of 28, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whether you're using the physical CD or an image of it, DOSBox will struggle playing the notes of the distaff. Why? Because those notes are played from the CD and not from the AdLib card. Each note requires a (real or emulated) CD access which is not handled fast enough by the emulator. Thus the first note is played but the following ones are muted. I didn't try with VDMS but the problem is probably the same.

What to do?

Just use ScummVM.

Reply 28 of 28, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best sync that I have had with the Loom CD is with the audio track ripped to the HDD and played through ScummVM. The same is true with the Gobliiins CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers