VOGONS

First post, by loghead

User metadata

Hi

First of all, thanks for a good program!

Second, I might be missing something obvious but how do I use the Wingman Profiler (for programing wingman joysticks) together with VDMSound?
I tried running the profiler and then starting the game (TIE Fighter) with VDMSound but the profiler has no effect.
Does anyone know if this is game specific?

Reply 1 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VDMSound just routes joystick commands through Windows' Game Controllers. If TIE Fighter doesn't let you change the button functions on your joystick, there's nothing an external program can do.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
loghead wrote:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

First of all, thanks for a good program!

Second, I might be missing something obvious but how do I use the Wingman Profiler (for programing wingman joysticks) together with VDMSound?
I tried running the profiler and then starting the game (TIE Fighter) with VDMSound but the profiler has no effect.
Does anyone know if this is game specific?

Hello,

Could you please give me more details about this "Wingman Profiler" and how it works/what it is supposed to do?

V.

Reply 3 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since I got a copy of it with my lovely WingMan Extreme 3D, I'll bite:
From the FAQ -
"What is WingMan Profiler?

The Logitech WingMan Profiler is an application that allows keystrokes and button presses to be assigned to the controls on any Logitech digital game controller (buttons, axes, POVs, etc). Each game can have it's own profile, so that the gaming device can be customized differently for each game."

FAQ here:
http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/documents/we … hlp/ProfHlp.htm

And you can check out the site here:
http://www.wingmanteam.com/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK:
(1) VDMSound gets its Joystick data from Windows, so if you get the "profiler" to work fine for Windows applications then it should also work fine with VDMSound. This is good for mapping keystrokes to joystick buttons.

(2) I have added functionality in the joystick emulation that lets you map buttons on your joystick to *combinations* of the max. four possible emulated buttons (i.e. up to 16 distinct combinations). Some DOS games (like the PS13 flight simulator) assigns functions not only to the buttons as pressed individually, but also to button combinations. The new (unreleased) joystick emulation can achieve that.

V.

Stiletto wrote:
... From the FAQ - "What is WingMan Profiler? […]
Show full quote

From the FAQ -
"What is WingMan Profiler?

The Logitech WingMan Profiler is an application that allows keystrokes and button presses to be assigned to the controls on any Logitech digital game controller (buttons, axes, POVs, etc). Each game can have it's own profile, so that the gaming device can be customized differently for each game."

Reply 6 of 12, by loghead

User metadata
vladr wrote:

VDMSound gets its Joystick data from Windows, so if you get the "profiler" to work fine for Windows applications then it should also work fine with VDMSound. This is good for mapping keystrokes to joystick buttons.

Yeah, it's only that you're supposed to start the game from inside the profiler. With the Wingman Profiler you create different profiles for different games, then you map keystrokes to the different joystick buttons and then you have an option to run the game with the Profiler.
So I was wondering if there was a way to run VDMSound and the Profiler at the same time, which doesn't seem to be the case (the Profilers fault I guess).

Is there a joystick emulation that lets you map keystrokes to joystick buttons in VDMSound already? In that case I missed it (shame on me!).

Reply 7 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...and can't you start a .bat file (with dosdrv.exe and the game) from within the Profiler? Or even a .vlp file (if using LaunchPad)?

No, there is no keyboard <-> joystick functionality inside VDMSound.

V.

Reply 8 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do VLP files run "as if" they were another executable file to programs? I've never actually tried running one through another program, but I'd imagine I'd get an error.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Do VLP files run "as if" they were another executable file to programs? I've never actually tried running one through another program, but I'd imagine I'd get an error.

Depends if they are loaded directly through the process API (no go) or through Explorer (will work). Probably the Profiler is only active on child processes, which may be a problem if VDMSound is spawned as a child of Explorer and not of the calling process.

V.

Reply 10 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems to me an easy way of fixing this would be to make a small EXE file that can read the VLP files; one that could then be called using one of those programs, resolving this problem.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Seems to me an easy way of fixing this would be to make a small EXE file that can read the VLP files; one that could then be called using one of those programs, resolving this problem.

Fix what? There is nothing to fix. 😀

V.

Reply 12 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Programs like this won't load VLP files. They will, however, load EXE files. Create a simple EXE file that can be used to call a VLP file to load VDMSound. Hell, once I learn a bit more C++, I'll do it myself.

Yes, it’s my fault.