VOGONS

OPL (AdLib) emulation

Topic actions

First post, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had previously posted about problems with VDMSound and the 5/02 update to version 2.0.4. As you may recall, without the update, the sound was ok. With the update, the sound became a series of, for lack of a better description, slow farts having some slight resemblance to the actual sound. At the time, I thought the problem was with MIDI emulation. It was not. MIDI emulation has nothing to do with the DOS version of Mortal Kombat 2. I can disable MIDI entirely without any change in result. Instead, the problem is with the Adlib emulation in the update 2.0.4. I could try MACE, but I'd need to find a ROM to do that, and I'd like to get the DOS version of MK2 working.

To Vlad and all others, I hate to post about any problem without mentioning the great benefit that your work in VDMSound has bestowed upon me and others. I'm getting better DOS compatibility with XP and VDMSound than I ever got with WinMe. Thanks for all your hard work.

Reply 1 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried changing the frequency of the AdLib sound emulation? I mean, you haven't followed the POSTING GUIDELINES very well -- you told us nothing of what you've tried.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry. I followed the posting guidelines in my earlier post(s), and I shorthanded things by referring to that post(s). You can search for my name, or the subject. I know I should do more, but like everybody else here, my time is limited. I've tried the CAP frequency timer change, changing the frequency for Adlib, changing IRQ and DMA timing, etc. to no avail. Not sure I tried those AFTER I updated creative's drivers for my Audigy. Shouldn't matter, but its worth a shot.

Reply 3 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOS Cap timer make no difference. Nor does changing frequency of the Adlib, ror selecting a different output device (under the Soundblaster tab of the VDMS Launcher, nor does changing the buffer size, nor does changing the DSP version. The game does not run from CD, so selecting low level CD support should not matter.

Reply 6 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should be. There's no reason why there wouldn't be. Aside from the installer. But that's easily enough fixed. Reinstall, delete registry keys, install again to a different location, apply patch to 1 of 2.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 58, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
edelbeb wrote:

Sorry. I followed the posting guidelines in my earlier post(s), and I shorthanded things by referring to that post(s). You can search for my name, or the subject. I know I should do more, but like everybody else here, my time is limited. I've tried the CAP frequency timer change, changing the frequency for Adlib, changing IRQ and DMA timing, etc. to no avail. Not sure I tried those AFTER I updated creative's drivers for my Audigy. Shouldn't matter, but its worth a shot.

AdLib emulation changed from 2.0.4 "plain" to 2.0.4 "Update 1". It theoretically changed for the better (best). Can you positively identify the change as caused by AdLib? Then tell me so that I can pass the info back to the OPL2/AdLib emulation people. In any case, you can always reinstall VDMSound and unzip everything from the "Update 1" zip except for the EmuAdlib module as a workaround.

V.

Reply 8 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can try to reinstall and then updating everything but the Adlib emu as a verification. That will probably need to wait until at least the weekend. My reason for suspecting the Adlib module is that with the MIDI disabled, I have the same symptoms, i.e., the same "farting" sounds. With the Adlib module disabled, I simply have no music whatsoever. I think I have the non-updated VDMS files on a cd. I may try copying only the adlib files from that back to my VDMS folder this weekend.

Reply 9 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is definitely with the EmuAdlib.dll file, as replacing that file made the sounds normal. Recently, some change in my system has caused the sound and the game to slow down (with or without the 5/02 update). I'm not aware of any system changes that might have caused this. Other games I run with VDMSound work normally. Cap DOS Timer is off. At some point down the road, I'll see if speedset helps. Thanks for all the help.

Reply 11 of 58, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How big is MKII? If it's big can it be cannibalized into a smaller version that can still play the music? I'd like to get some debug info and send it to Jarek (*the* OPL2 emulation guy).

V.

Reply 12 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MK2 is about 20 MB. I can bring it to about 7 MB without problems, and I think I can bring it down to about 5 MB and still get sound.

Last edited by edelbeb on 2002-08-23, 03:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 58, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

> Jarek the OPL2 emulation guy

And soon to be OPL3 emulation guy, as rumors persist...

But I digress...

edelbeb, why don't you use MAME to emulate MK2? Or is your main reason for running MK2 for troubleshooting VDMS?

I suppose, one reason would be if your computer is too slow to emulate MK2 within MAME (requires 800 MHz Pentium III or thereabouts for full-framerate emulation AFAIK).

Another reason would be that having the ROMs for MK2 without actually having a legal license to use the ROMs (owning the board, purchasing a license from Midway if possible, etc.) is illegal by US copyright law, if you are in the US. Owning the computer-game "port" is not the same thing, legally.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could always just play the SNES version. It probably sounds better, in any case, and with ZSNES and the Super Eagle or Super 2xSAI engines, it probably looks better, too.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have no problems with running MAME provided that it substituting for a legally owned copy that I can't run properly. Last time I checked, a few months ago, I did have a problem finding the MK2 ROM at a site I felt I could trust connecting with. I'll see if the SNES version shows up at a site I believe is safe. Finally, I'll probably keep exploring to see if I can get MK2 to work. I'm persistent when I think something should work and it just doesn't. May the next version of VDMSound (whenever that happens) will do the trick. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Reply 16 of 58, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait a moment there. The current ("Update 1") OPL emulation is supposed (according to its author) to be "as good as it gets". So if you believe that there is a problem then you (I) should definitely confirm this with Jarek. If it's not confirmed then rest assured, it won't change in the next version of VDMSound. 😀 (unless it is replaced with OPL3 emulation, that is).

V.

Reply 17 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why aren't you using OPL3 emulation, Vlad?

MAME.DK used to have all MAME ROMs available for download. However, due to legal pressure, they had to remove them. (Too bad, since I even donated.)
EDGEEMU.COM has ROMs for older consoles and computers (C64, Sinclair, Genesis, Nintendo and Super Nintendo, Jaguar (console only), Neo Geo).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm convinced there's a problem, since MK2 worked ok (save for the joystick emulation) before the update. I'm not sure that its worth much of your time, unless other games have similar problems. If there's any way I can help, let me know, and I'll see what I can do. I can't program, unfortunately.