VOGONS

OPL (AdLib) emulation

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem has a definite relationship to Audigy's drivers. I just upgraded to the 2.53 version of the drivers (as opposed to the 2.52). The sound improved (still somewhat off, but MUCH better), and the speed returned to normal. I'll of course report this to Creative Labs, who will then divert all of their attention to promptly revising their drivers to completely overcome this flaw. Well, I can dream, can't I? 😀

Reply 24 of 58, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The KX drivers are supposedly faster (that's what they were designed for) may be more optimal than Creative's drivers for old games, since of course old games don't need the newer features.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Err..wait..the new drivers are XP-only, or the Compaq 2.52 drivers are XP-only?

There's no doubt in my mind that kX's drivers will be better ... when they've got all the features implemented. 'till then, well, they suck. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if the 2.52 drivers are XP only. I believe they are at ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp20501-21000/SP20920.exe
if you wish to check them out. Large download.

As for the kX drivers, I haven't tried them. I run some newer games that take advantage of the Audigy's advanced features.

Reply 27 of 58, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

Wait a moment there. The current ("Update 1") OPL emulation is supposed (according to its author) to be "as good as it gets". So if you believe that there is a problem then you (I) should definitely confirm this with Jarek. If it's not confirmed then rest assured, it won't change in the next version of VDMSound. 😀 (unless it is replaced with OPL3 emulation, that is).

V.

Well, didja look into it, Vlad? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Enquiry: Is OPL3 reverse-compatible with OPL2 (and OPL1, if such a thing exists)? It's sounding like it is, but I thought I might as well ask a boring, redundant question such as this.
Um, also, since this thread has deviated quite a bit from its original intent, I'm renaming it. CHEERZ! 😁

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 29 of 58, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Enquiry: Is OPL3 reverse-compatible with OPL2 (and OPL1, if such a thing exists)? It's sounding like it is, but I thought I might as well ask a boring, redundant question such as this.

Yes. The OPL4 (YMF278B) is backwards-compatible with the OPL3 (YMF262M), which is backwards-compatible with the OPL2 (YM3812), which is backwards-compatible with the OPL (YM3526). There's a lot of other chips in the family, but that's the gist of it.

MAME emulates the OPL, OPL2, and preliminary pre-release emulation exists for the OPL4. OPL3 emulation is being worked on by Jarek for MAME and its spinoff projects. (Once OPL3 is emulated, MAME should be able to better emulate OPL4's FM, which it does not currently do well, if at all.)

Stiletto

Reply 30 of 58, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested MK2. It does sound weird with version 1.0.4.3 of the AdLib emulation ("Update 1"), but 1.0.4.3 had an envelope bug that was fixed in 1.0.4.4 (attached). MK2 sounds OK now (with 1.0.4.4).

Attachments

• Filename
    emuadlib.v1.0.4.4.zip
    File size
    22.81 KiB
    Downloads
    615 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31 of 58, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the file. MK2 sound works great. Now all I have to do is to resolve the joystick problem. Still jumps around. I've tried adjusting the min/max settings, the polling, and the mapping.

Reply 33 of 58, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, sorry about the delay in MK2 testing. I tested SoundFX 2000's (commercial "competition") joystick emulation as well, and it also seems to jump around (or it's my makeshift two-potentiometer-and-two-exposed-wires-as-a-button joystick, though I doubt it). Very likely a MK2 issue with Windows... who knows what sorf of voodoo joystick polling it uses... Not to mention that it will actually crash sometimes (at least in my case) when specifying joystick (e..g 4-button joystick) in the setup screen (press F10), so there definitely is something fishy going on there... SWOS (soccer program) also has joystick problems, though joystick is one of the most straightforward emulation there is, so yes, there are ways for games to screw up on joystick emulation as well. 😜

V.

Reply 36 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also found that, and from what I've read/been told, that is only Jarek's OPL2 code. I dunno. There is some confusion -- YM3812, according to Stiletto, is OPL2, but there is only ONE place (in English) that I have found to verify that, whereas if I search for "OPL3 YM3812" I get TONNES of hits.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 38 of 58, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jarek's busy with other things right now, as am I.

... it's kinda low on the priorities, only a few arcade games used it, and Jarek works mainly on MAME, not computer emulation (like MESS). If he worked more on MESS than on MAME, there'd probably be more of an interest from him in getting it emulated.

Have patience, even Vlad has said he'd look at it, maybe, if Jarek doesn't get around to it.

I will, however, ask Jarek for a status update - i.e. whether he's done any work on it yet and/or if he's going to work on it at all.

BTW - OPL2 (or sometimes seen as OPLII) == YM3812.
OPL3 == YMF262
There are other OPL3 chips, like the OPL3-SAx series (OPL3-SA1, OPL3-SA2, OPL3-SA3, OPL3-SA4), but the YMF262 was the original chip. The other ones are derivatives and not strictly compatible.

Reply 39 of 58, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW, Google counts at least 1020 pages.

[url]http://www.google.com/search?q=(YM3812+OR+%22YM-3812%22)+(OPL2+OR+OPLII+OR+%22OPL+2%22+OR+%22OPL+II%22)[/url]

😜

Stiletto